Saturday, May 6, 2017

Saturday: Comic book day.

Specifically Free Comic Book Day.  I guess I've only done it the past three years.  The past two years have also been Marvel movie days, and last year included ice cream and Greek for lunch.  So.  You maybe can guess how today worked out.

I liked the sleepy Bulbasaur on today's splash screen.
In any case, I got up, went to the comic book place in Kalihi, and after getting out of the car, my hair tie snapped.  "I'll just get the backup one when I get done shopping."
There were more people here, but I was able to get a shot with no one.  They also had face painting and somebody was doing sketches.
The only cosplay I saw was a Batman, but he had the cowl off, due to it being the tropics, and the cowl being made of rubber.


And I guess Saga comes in big collected volumes, too?
And then I discovered that IDW has been  re-releasing The Maxx.  I didn't get it as I have the original release, but it was kind of surprising to see.

Anyway.

It turns out that this is just a sample of a collection of the webcomic (specifically The Case of the Forked Road), but it's John Allison writing Lottie Grote.

And the Boom sampler.
I might have gotten more, but there was a family that could only choose FCBD books if they were physically touching the rack.  Plus the Marvel issue this year is garbage that's going to be reconned immediately when the story is done, so it's not like that was going to be something I got.  I did get some Marvel stuff:

I think this is the next volume of Squirrel Girl I needed.

This is the next volume of Patsy Walker, AKA Hellcat.

And some more John Allison, with the next volume of Giant Days.
Then I got back to the car and discovered the only hair tie I had was an old crappy one that wasn't elastic anymore.  Which sucked, because the wind was not cooperative today.  Also not cooperative was traffic, which ground to a halt at the Pali merge, for no obvious reason.  Because of that, I didn't get to the Koko Marina theater until twenty minutes after the movie had started.  Slight change of plans, and lunch first.
The chicken was dry today.
I had a lot of time to kill.
So I got some baklava.
Then the movie.  Guardians of the Galaxy 2.  The first one was good, but seeing Twitter reviews made be a bit suspicious of this one.  I mean, it's not good to see two people who you trust about comic book/movie stuff both say that it's a bad movie.  And I don't know all the details, but another "the first was better because this" review isn't good.

It's not terrible.  It's also not the first one.  I saw something else on Twitter that I can't find now that was basically, "wow, Drax is unnecessarily mean to Mantis, and trying to joke it off that he's bad with social interaction is lazy and stupid."  Which was true.  Also, "hey, I'm from outer space, and I'm planting this space plant on your planet" should be like the #1 sign that you're possibly dating an evil space monster who will try to assimilate your planet.  This also had the "villains need to learn to plan" problem.  If your goal is to use your part magical hero son as part of your take over the galaxy plan, maybe be patient.  If he's really immortal as long as he periodically visits, then just let him do his thing.  All his friends will eventually die, and you can use the endless boredom of outliving people to convince him to join on the take over the galaxy plan.  This should be the fundamental thing that immortal bad guys would know: everyone else dies, so just let them.

Also, they were bad with names, so I had no clue who Sylvester Stallone was supposed to be.  Starhawk, I guess.  Meh.  Also the end credits scene with Ayesha talking about how she's going to make the perfect person:

Her: "I will name him...."
Me: "Adam Warlock.  You need to have an Adam Warlock for the Infinity Gauntlet storyline."
Her: "Adam!"
Me: "After this entire movie and everything, you decided the 'Warlock' part was too much?  Really?"

So yeah.  Not terrible, but also not as good as the previous one.

Then I got ice cream.  Blueberry and coconut.  

I didn't bother with the gym, because what is wrong with people that dump Blisseys at the bottom of the gym?
Also this happened on Samurai Jack, but it happened on Twitter before it did on my TV. 😞




No comments:

Post a Comment