Saturday, May 2, 2015

Saturday: Near disaster, but it didn't mess up my plan for the day

I woke up this morning trying to figure out why my phone was freaking out.  It turns out that's what "ringing" is.  My boss was calling to have me shut down all of our processing because the home directory RAID had failed.  On both disks.  And the backup host had a failed disk.  So basically 75% of all the disks that are supposed to keep things safe failed in 24 hours.  Oops.  It looks like everything will be fine, but it may take the rest of the weekend to get it all sorted out again.

In any case, that just meant that my day started earlier than I had planned.  What was the plan for the day?

Free comic book day.
I drove out to Other Realms, and it was the standard FCBD experience.
There was a Harley Quinn.
There was a crying child who was very unhappy that he couldn't get something other than the free comic books and the other comics his mom was getting him.
There was a Batman/Nightwing team, with Bane tagging along.  You can see Red Hood with Tiny Robin in the background.
As I was leaving, I saw Batgirl rushing to get to the store.  I didn't want to interrupt her to take a picture.  So I got:
Because this is the only DC comic worth even considering a read.

It's also a flip-and-read-from-the-back with a Scooby Doo/Justice League team up book.  Because nothing about that isn't awesome.

I also got Boom's compilation.  I know those cartoons/webcomic/ancient properties.  Also, Lumberjanes is supposed to be really good.
 And since it's FCBD, that meant I had to pick up a bunch of trades, because that's the point of the whole thing.
An Adventure Time one, written by Danielle Corsetto.

Another AT one, starring Marceline, written by Kate Leth.

And I'm 99% sure that I own this, but when I was looking for it a few weeks ago, I couldn't find it.  In any case, this is by the people who made the best Batman ever.

Then, to complete comic book day, I went to see the new Avengers movie.
"Wait, does that say Koko Marina?"
Yeah.  It's over there on the right.
"Why is the airport on that map?"  It's kind of the easiest way to turn around on H-1.  You can zip through the departure level, and then get back on going the other direction.  It's one of the few symmetric sets of exits.

"Getting back to the original issue, why did you drive out to Koko Marina when there are piles of theaters before it?"  Eh.  I mostly wanted to drive more, and it also helped that Koko Marina had showings every half hour or so.  I also assumed it would have smaller crowds (that's also where I saw the second Silent Hill movie in a semi-private showing with just one other person).  The large number of showings didn't help as much as I thought, as I showed up slightly late for one showing, and the next was an hour later.  I went for the one that was still showing the trailers, meaning I missed the new Star Wars thing.  Whatever.

In any case, it's a pretty good movie, although it helps that I know who everyone is, know a lot of the back story from the comics, and had a reasonable idea of some of the end details.  That last part is why I wanted to see this opening weekend.  There have been so many spoilers for this movie that it was best to try to get in front of the biggest wave.  Marvel really shouldn't have made and released 99 clips, either.  Anyway, good movie, clearly "middle of the story" material, but it was a fun way to spend the afternoon.

Afterwards, I was hungry, but didn't really feel up to any of the restaurants there at the marina.  That Silent Hill link was in my head as I was driving out, and in the end, I decided not to chance the inconsistency of the Kona Brewing Company.  As I was driving back, I saw a place, and decided that a steak sounded kind of good.

You can guess which chain steak place I selected.
"Ick!"  No, not ick.  It fit nicely in the slot I had for it:  1) I haven't had a steak in a long time. 2) I don't really feel like going to a steak place where I'd feel under dressed in shorts.  I think that should be their new tagline.  "When you want steak, but don't really feel like putting on pants."

Plus, it's right on the ocean.  I watched some guys fishing next to the two trees in the center of the shot until that table was filled.
So what did I get?
French onion soup.  I like FOS, and the waitress really seemed to want me to order something, and I hadn't read any of the menu.  "Oh!  Soup!"  Thanks for giving me time to plan, soup.

Over dressed was the problem here.  It wasn't as good as the salads I get for lunch, but those are made by licensed saladier.

NY Strip with blue cheese, garlic mashed potatoes.  Cut a bit wonky so the left side was thinner and therefore more cooked.  The potatoes aren't very garlicky.  Still, this is not a bad steak.  Once past the bites on the far left, things were nicely pink and tender, and the juices and cheese mixed into a delicious sauce.  I was concerned it would be overly salty, but it avoided that.

And I added coconut shrimp.  Because I panicked, and they looked good on the menu, and I knew I was going to probably be taking part of the steak home anyway.  I've had better, but I ate all of them.  Partially because shrimp do not reheat well.  The sauce was just sugar and more sugar.  A sriracha would have been a better choice.

And this is what I ended with.  The pink bite from the middle was a nice crispy crusty bit, so I cut that off and ate it.  It would just get soggy at home, so I decided to just fix that up front.
After making a sandwich with a few slices of the steak and the leftover bread for late dinner tonight, I still have enough left over for dinner tomorrow.  Not bad.  Blue cheese isn't foie gras, but that's the kind of thing you either have to make yourself (with a better steak than I did that one time.  Like this steak today would work) or you have to put on pants.  Choices.






No comments:

Post a Comment