Saturday, May 3, 2014

Saturday: Waking up early on the weekend is weird.

Why did I wake up early?  Mostly because some jackass in my neighborhood decided to power saw things at 9am.  Jackass.  However, I had errands to run today, so that did kind of work out.

First up: dropping off that shitty cable modem at the cable store.  TWC has their office in Ward Centers, which is actually close enough that I can see part of it from my lanai.  Next, since I was there, and today is today, I went over to the comic book store.  Why?

Because this was today.
 They had people doing cosplay at the store, but I got there just late enough to see them in the hallway.  I thought about trying to get a picture, but it felt like trying to make people work when their shift is over.  Even though they're volunteers.  Regardless, it didn't feel right.

So, what did I get?
Only one of these was free.
I looked it up ahead of time, and the kaboom anthology seemed like the best way to go, since the big two seem to perpetually fuck shit up.  My usual strategy is to get a trade or something, because you can't just go in, get a free comic, and walk out.  Well, you can, but it kind of makes you a jerk.  I grabbed one of the Adventure Time ones, number 4 because I couldn't remember which ones I already have, but I'm pretty sure I don't have 4.

Then I saw that someone at DC had decided to reissue/recollect the Harley Quinn (v1) series in trades.  I have the first volume from years ago, so it was nice to pick up the other two.

Lunch was next:
This is why I don't go to Nico's at regular lunch time.
It was super busy, but I was able to grab a table immediately.
Same as always.
 Boat time!
Wait a minute, I recognize you!
Final errand of the day: go to Amazon's local showroom, and play with tablets and see if I like them.  My comparison was between the kindle and the nexus 7.  I want something pocket-y sized, in the less than $200 range.  The kindle is too not-androidy.  It puts everything into categories, but that's dumb.

My phone is organized based on how often I use the app.  Top row of home screen is all my most popular things: email/twitter/etc.  The sides have less popular things: alarm/calendar/music identify stuff/etc.  The bottom row is things I look at when I'm sitting down to look at stuff: browser/rss reader/wifi manager/etc.  The center holds things I'll use, but not super often: calculator/google goggles/phone <-> computer sync.  The logic here is that I'm usually controlling the phone with my thumb, so things on the edges are easier to tap than things in the middle.

The kindle blocks everything into categories, and pretty much screams "you can buy stuff to put here from us!"  I get that that's what they're going for, but that's not really a big selling point for me.  So, nexus 7 then.  It's just a big flat version of my phone that claims 9-hours of viewing time.  I didn't buy it, partially because I was angry at BB for putting out like three "simulated screen image" versions, and hiding the usable one on the far endcap.  In any case, I still have lots of time to decide if I really want to get one.

I'm putting how I spent the rest of my afternoon after a break, so links go next.  Then dinner.  One problem about getting up early is that you can't use lunch as both lunch and dinner, so I need to figure out what I want to eat.



How I Spent the Rest of My Afternoon.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince: Live Comments


"At this point, I just stopped caring, and just follow along."  This movie is bizarrely self aware.

"Why is it always us?"  Hilariously self aware.

The "Half Blood Prince" is probably Voldemort. Wait...no, it's Snape.  He's been the potion god for like six movies now.

"Fuck it, I'm Harry Fucking Potter, and I can cheat if I want, because fuck everybody."  It's good that Harry has realized that he can basically do whatever he wants. 

"But no, I'm just Captain Placebo."  You could have cheated, Harry.  No one would have cared.

This movie is just all about kissing, isn't it?

Harry, just take the crazy girl.  Yes.  There.  Finally a not stupid choice. [edit to add: google totally has that link as first when you search for "that crazy girl in harry potter."  I'm not being mean, it's just the easiest way to keep track of her.]

LOL, that jerk just puked on Snape's shoes

Draco is just a dick to everyone, isn't he?

I just realized I have no clue what Voldemort's plan is here.  Take over the world?  Kill everyone?  Generally be a jerk everywhere?

Does Harry have any fucking offensive spells?

Why do they live in the middle of fucking nowhere?

Why does a school have a restricted section in the library?  

He does fuck up all his missions, doesn't he?  He's the least responsible guy to ever save the day.

And the adults just stand around for drama-girlfriend-drama?  Dude, you nearly poisoned Dumbledore.  

At least Dumbledore has a dick quote to go out on.

I still don't get this Draco putting things in the cabinet bit.  And the bird died, and he's sad?  WTF?

Weren't there ghosts all over the place for the first year or two?  Why don't they still have those.  Immortal semi invisible spies to follow Draco "fucking-dad's-a-baddie" Lastname everywhere.  Boom.  Problem solved


Wait, why are they hiding the book of awesome how to do potions?  Especially from Harry?  Or is this just part of the...ok, yes, the kissing subplot.

How do people forget about the macguffin so much?

Lucky Harry is even more of an irresponsible jerk than usual.  I would like to see entire movies of Irresponsible Jerk Lucky Harry.  That would be awesome.

Man, everybody loved Harry's mom, didn't they?  She was like some sort of wizard-saint.

Cause, yeah, this horcrux thing.  He already can't die.  What's his goal here?

"I'M GOING TO SPLIT MY SOUL INTO SEVEN PARTS!  IT'S OUR SECRET THOUGH, OK?"  Tom Riddle: Totally Not A Psychopath.

For fuck's sake. Dumbledore already has two of them?  

How do you know you have to drink everything in this thing?  Voldemort has a eating challenge as a horcrux?  Do you get a t-shirt and a picture on the wall?

I"m getting that I'm missing a lot of stuff that should be important.

Ok, zombies.  Random question.  Why did we bring two people on this mission instead of like, all the people?

At least Dumbledore has a seriously epic flame strike spell.  I can see why you wouldn't teach that to most people, but given the shit Harry puts up with, it seems like that might be something he'd like to know.

Also, I like that Harry beats up Draco and gets a field trip out of it.  "Well, I just thought I'd do the most irresponsible thing!"  Oh, Harry.

I thought about photo shopping the dog face, but I'm lazy and hungry.

Did Dumbledore just set up Harry so he'd have to watch him die?  Kind of a dick move.

Like, why didn't we send Snape?  He's like the best fighter ever.

Yep.  Snape was the Half Blood Prince.  Called it.

I'm sorry, this wand thing just looks silly.

RAB?  Is that one of the Blacks?  Google says yes.  Why doesn't Harry use google?  Fucking wizards.

Wait, RAB stole the locket from the tub of poison juice, killed the zombies that that apparently spawns, then reset the zombies, and refilled the tub of poison juice, just so he could fool Voldemort, who probably didn't need to go through that whole rigamarole, that he hadn't stolen the real locket?  It's possible RAB is even more stupidly irresponsible than Harry.

At least they sorted out all the boyfriend/girlfriend stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment