Thursday, May 4, 2017

Thursday: Because why not. A new computer.

I attempted to scan my blog to find all my previous "new computer" posts, but it doesn't look like I made all the ones that should be there.  To briefly summarize:


  1. kadatheron, 200 Mhz pentium.
  2. celephais, a used 486 IBM laptop.
  3. navi, which has now been rebuilt three times I think.
  4. niea, the laptop that died of cold.
  5. tachikoma, the laptop that I did a lot of my thesis on, even after the backlight died.
  6. thebigo, the start of my Thinkpad obsession.
  7. snorlax, the start of the Pokemon themed laptops.
  8. oshawott, my previous main laptop that has had a cracked screen bezel that keeps falling apart, and has a dark spot where the backlight LED stopped working.
  9. teddiursa, intended to be a replacement for kadatheron that never really took.
  10. chespin, my current main laptop that I still have problems with the software install on, but am too lazy to bother fixing.
  11. lain, navi, and wired, my proposed future replacement for navi, with lain and navi being identical Intel NUC computers that run all the services navi does in a master-slave setup, and wired being some network attached storage system that will store all my media and data files.
  12. popplio, the new cheap-ass laptop I bought to replace oshawott's current task of "bedroom youtube viewer" and go with me on this Europe trip, because if something happens, I'd rather lose a cheap-ass laptop than my main one.
It is purple, and was made by DY.
It is reasonably light, and has basically the same display and memory stats as oshawott, but only has a dual core processor, and only a 32GB M.2 SSD.  The build is a bit flexy, but given that I'm comparing to Thinkpads, it's probably an unfair comparison.  Also probably unfair since this was like $215, and my Thinkpads are like five times that.
I may need to remap some of the keys.
I went with Ubuntu for this one, simply because I didn't want to futz getting drivers for the wifi card.  It's clearly less powerful, but for my goal of watching youtube and making and giving presentations, this works just fine.  I haven't sorted out systemd so it doesn't go to sleep when I close the lid, but that's a minor detail.




No comments:

Post a Comment