Thursday, April 12, 2012

Thursday: National Grilled Cheese Day

No, really, this is apparently a thing.  I did my part to celebrate:


  • Julie has a new blog! Yay!
  • I wasn't the only one who thought this picture of Obama was funny.
  • Catholic League, blah blah, conservative front group, blah blah, 'elp 'elp I'm being repressed, blah blah, fucktards.
  • I decided a while ago that Alton Brown was kind of a jackass, despite how much I'd enjoyed his show in the past.  This kind of affirms that point, and shows that Alton clearly doesn't watch his own channel.  Since I have this snazzy DVR with mysql backend, it's just a matter of a quick query and some categorization.  For the week for 2012-04-15 through 2012-04-22, I find 166 hours of programming on FoodTV.  Of this, 42.5 (25.6%) hours are what I would class as cooking shows (Good Eats, 30-minute Meals, Aunt Sandy Gets Sloshed and Opens Some Cans, Paula Murders You With Sugar, etc).  The balance I broke into three groups: Infomercials (28.5 hours, 17.2%); "Educational" (Unwrapped, Diners Drive Ins, Restaurant Impossible, etc) (48.5 hours, 29.2%); "Fights" (Chopped, Iron Chef, Throwdown, etc) (46.5 hours, 28%).  Based on this split, FoodTV is probably not a very good place to try to learn to cook.  I suspect that Alton's real problem is the fact that he stars on a number of those competition based shows, and doesn't like his money makers called "nastiness."  It doesn't really change the fact that they're not very good shows, and do very little to teach how to cook.  I guess these stats also explain why I pretty much never watch FoodTV anymore.  Why would I?

No comments:

Post a Comment