Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter 6: Lamb

Yesterday covered the hard part of the lamb, so today all I had to do was unwrap and enjoy.  It ended up cooking for about 15 hours at 200, and then sat with the pan covered in another layer of foil for another three.  I put the pan over the oven vent so that it would have something to keep it warm.
 You can see here that the foil leaks, which always happens to me.  Note the lamb fat and the slick of flavored juices.  You can make this into a gravy if you want, mostly by just adding some flour to the fat and mixing into a roux, and then adding some lamb stock.  I don't have lamb stock, so I didn't do any of this, but throwing out that flavorful fat seems a bit wasteful.
Opened up.  It cooked a bit longer than I wanted, so some bits were a touch dry.  However, it still had a good spiced flavor, and when I got a bottom piece (that had been sitting in the juices), it was moist and delicious.
Tubbed up for storage.  The nice thing about this recipe is that all you need is a pair of tongs, and you can unwrap and serve.  This would make dealing with a bone in leg easy as well.  After cooking this long, there is pretty much zero connective tissue left, so the bone will slide out in one pull.  This also renders a lot of the fat out, and any fat left behind separates cleanly from the meat.  Blah blah, healthy, blah.

No comments:

Post a Comment