Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter 4: mezgaldi

This was kind of an experiment, so I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out.  It's not bad, but not quite what I was hoping for.  I'm thinking that the result would work well on sandwiches, so I think that's where these are going to end up this week.

Anyway, I used this as my base recipe, with only a few changes.

Step one: prep oil:

  • 3 tbs olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ginger
  • 1/8 tsp turmeric
Step two: slice onions (I used two, and still ran out of oil.  One giant onion, or two small ones would probably work better):

 Step three: Use brush to paint oil mixture onto the onion slices, and then cram them into a baking dish, note that they don't really fit, give baking dish the finger, add some water (I just filled my empty oil ramekin halfway and used that).
Step four: Cover dish with foil and put into oven for 45 minutes at 400 degrees.

Step five: Uncover dish, and then sprinkle a tablespoon of sugar over the top of the onions.  Don't take a picture of this step, because that's how the food goblins get you.  Cook for another fifteen minutes, maybe shifting the temperature up to 450 because you just pulled the bread out and don't have to worry about it burning.

Again, this wasn't a bad dish, but it didn't really work as well as I was hoping.  The onions turn super sweet, suggesting it might have been better to use a less sweet onion to start with.  The spice mixture adds a faint tone to the onion sweetness, but that's about it.  I think if I do this again, I'll switch to white onions, and then increase the spices by maybe a factor of two to get them to cut through a bit more.  These are very soft and loose after cooking, which is why I think they'll work well as an onion jam on a sandwich.  Maybe of lamb.  Maybe on sage bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment