Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Wednesday: "And now I want a hot dog"

I didn't know what I was going to do for dinner for the rest of the week, but then I read the nytimes article about hotdogs. Then I saw Julie's tweet about the article. Then I read through the associated slide show during lunch.

So that kind of sorted it out.

I got the fancy organic dogs shown above, and next time, I'll probably get different ones. The flavor is a bit weak, so maybe taking all the poisons out is a problem. Stupid "low poison" diet. It also doesn't help that I got wf buns, which are pretty much universally not that good.

So the strategy for today was: preheat cast iron pan in the oven while heating it for the tots (more on these below). Once the pan was hot, put the buns in it to warm and soften. I should have done this longer. Next, pat of butter, followed by some slices of onion and the dogs. The rest is self-explanatory.

The tots didn't brown as much as I would have liked, but I think that's generally the case of baking them. You'll notice the plating picture has a half eaten hot dog. I got hungry while waiting, since I bumped u the cooking time in the hope they'd magically brown. Anyway, I wanted them cheese, so put some shredded cheese on the plate, then added the tots. Cover with a monkey bowl while I finish the first dog, and you get the cheesy-tot-o-pi (like octopi) shown above.

No comments:

Post a Comment