Sunday, August 21, 2011

Sunday: Shrimp Roll

I've spent a larger-than expected part of today looking at pictures of shrimp (and similarly made lobster) rolls.  I largely disregarded the advice presented (as I'm not going to slather them with some horrible mayo sauce), but came up with this:


Yes, I understand that cheese and bacon aren't traditional ingredients.  I got potato-bread hotdog buns, as they were the biggest and squishiest available at safeway.  I really wish I could find some of these, but it looks like the side split is the only thing available.

My "recipe" took the shrimp, and quickly sauteed them in butter, and then as they were nearly done, splashed in some cayenne sauce to pep up the flavor.  This actually added less heat than the dried cayenne yesterday, probably because the sauce mostly mixed into the butter.  I had the bacon left over from yesterday, so it just needed a quick pass through the microwave.  I made a quick dressing of 1-part mayo, 2-part dijon, dash-dash-dash of old bay, and spread that on the bun, then added the lettuce.  This was a mistake, as the lettuce simply becomes an aqueduct for the shrimp juices to spill out onto your hand. Shrimp, bacon, cheese.

Very tasty, with just the right balance between all the ingredients.  Even the mayo-sauce worked well, as the mustard toned down the mayo until it only added a little tangy creaminess. I should have organized it better so that the liquids could soak into the bun, but that's something that can be fixed with napkins.

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure that no one ever puts cheese on a lobster roll, grossie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but they drown it in mayo. Besides, it was either add the last of the cheddar to the sandwich or eat it on the side, or throw it out for being older than I care to keep.

    I'm being thrifty.

    ReplyDelete