Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Kiwis: Totally possible

Yesterday I suggested this way to eat a kiwi:


And then came to the conclusion afterwards that I usually just cut it into wedges and ate out the fruit like orange slices, and so had never actually tried this method.  So, today I picked up some kiwi at WF to give it a try:


I went the other way because I like the happy circle shape of cross-cut kiwi.  It worked perfectly, a single slice across the middle, leaving a flap connecting the two halves, then a single orbit around the outside with the spoon to loosen it.  The core is firmly attached to the ends of the fruit, though, so instead of removing a single peeled half, I instead ate it like a custard, using the skin as the cup.


I'll admit to cheating a bit while shopping: I chose two very ripe kiwi that had a nice give to them when I squeezed.  They weren't squishy, but you could feel that the outermost layer of the fruit wasn't firm.  This also had the benefit of producing very sweet fruit, which solves the problem I had that made me stop eating kiwi.  The ones I've been buying before were not this ripe, and so didn't have the sweetness necessary to balance out the acidity.  That acid would always make my mouth hurt after eating one.

I think this goes into the list of fruit tricks with the monkey way to eat a banana:

No comments:

Post a Comment