Monday, August 8, 2011

Monday: making other people cook for me

I decided over the weekend that since it's been a long time since I didn't cook dinner (except for a few oddities, but I think those mostly involved taco bell, and therefore, don't count as dinner by definition), I'd go out. I went to the mexican place (link to be added once I get to a real computer). Om nom chicken/beef/cheese enchiladas. I still don't like eating out alone, but laziness won out.

My main concern is that it often feels like the restaurant people really don't want you there. I kind of got this feeling when my dinner arrived maybe five minutes after I ordered. It wasn't very busy, so it's entirely possible that the kitchen wasn't doing anything.

It was tasty, and I have leftovers for dinner tomorrow. That pushes off any further food planning until Wednesday.

5 comments:

  1. I don't like to eat alone either. Although, I have less problems when the place is relatively empty. I get take-out at a few places as a compromise between not cooking and eating alone. Of course that depends on the dish at the restaurant itself and how well it can handle the take out process. Places that get food fast are great because you can stop by and order food, and get your order quickly without waiting too long in the place. Calling ahead requires some planning.

    I got some take-out bun bo hue from a Vietnamese place. Which turned out nicely. They were quick at the restaurant, and also packaged the food nicely. Noodles separate, soup separate, veg separate. Boil the soup on the stove, and then nuke the noodles to keep it from cooling the soup when they are combined. Added the rest. Eat. Just like what you'd get from the restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My problem with take out is that I live so close to work (2.5 miles). The only places to get food along the way are the places next door that I go to for lunch. I could go someplace else (the island really isn't that big) and pick up something, but that seems to be more effort than just cooking most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The next time you visit, we need to go to Baguette House. It's awesome and next to a huge Asian supermarket complete with live fish tanks and piles of Kimchi ramen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Yelp pictures make it look pretty good. They also make the sandwich I packed for lunch today look a bit sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Make sure to get a pate chaud from Baguette House. It's like an Vietnamese pasty, but with puff pastry.

    ReplyDelete