Friday, August 19, 2011

Friday: A Perfectly Cromulent Solution

I finally cleaned the kitchen a bit, so pictures are back.  After eating cheese fries and a giant burger (or most of a giant burger. I chucked about a quarter because I was full. Also, I forgot to have them not put the mayo-mustard crap sauce on it, and that kind of put me off as well.), I figured that I should try to be healthier in what I ate today.  I picked up some fresh fruit this afternoon, along with some moderate quality deli sushi for lunch.  After a few healthy snacks and a pile of DVR'ed Twilight Zone episodes, I realized that it was 8:00, and I was getting hungry.  That's when the perfect solution presented itself: Milkshake.

Ok, I can hear the complaints now:
  1. Milkshakes aren't really healthy.
  2. That's way too much fruit for that cup.
This is where I point out that those two concerns completely cancel each other out.  Fruit's healthy. Milk apparently "does a body good," from what I've heard.  Peanut butter is full of protein and...peanuts.  Sure, ice cream isn't great, but I didn't use that much.



So it turns out that point 2 was actually true.  That was way too much fruit for that cup.  I dragged out my old Quality Dairy 64oz cup from undergrad, and blitzed it all up in that.  


The end result worked much better than I'd expected.  The strawberries basically sacrificed themselves simply to color the final shake.  The banana flavor is clear, as is the peanut butter.  Most surprising to me is that the peanut bits (since chunky is the One True Peanut Butter) stayed suspended and didn't sink to the bottom.

Other than the fact that I now totally feel like I need to brush my teeth, I think this works well as a Admission Day dinner. It celebrates....something.  Admitting that milkshakes are delicious, we'll say.


I'm not sure what the plan for next week is.  I don't think I'm going to the farmer's market tomorrow, mostly since it isn't the best place to try to come up with a menu plan.  I picked up a head of lettuce at the store today, so even though I paid twice what it costs at the farmer's market, I have salad-works for a few days. Maybe some shrimp on a salad? I still kind of want to do something with fish, but making my own fish sticks seems like more effort than I want to put in right now.  Then again, I'm full on delicious milkshake, so my motivation for making more food is pretty small anyway.  We'll see what's on sale tomorrow, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment