Saturday, October 10, 2015

Saturday: I have far too many tabs open, which suggests that there will be lots of links. Also: Art-venture!

Today's plan was to go see movies at the Doris Duke Theater at the Museum of Art.  Since I was going to be there for the entire afternoon, I decided it would be good to try their cafe again.  I called to make a reservation, but I probably could have just walked in.  However, since I didn't want to get there and not have anything to eat, and since I'd have to plan to get lunch elsewhere if I couldn't eat there, it seemed like reservations were important.
This was my view for lunch.  I didn't bother to properly align this, as I anticipated that writing today's post was going to take forever anyway.  Maybe tomorrow, if I'm feeling bored.  There's a waterfall, is the main point.
None of the specials sounded that great, so I went with one of their sandwiches:
Chicken sandwich, with maple bacon, fontina, and another whole salad in addition to the side salad with walnuts.
Honestly, I was not expecting that many vegetables on my sandwich.  I was also hoping that the maple bacon would taste better than it did.  There was something slightly off about it.

Also, this bird kept doing this.  Are you hot, waterfall bird?
This was the point where I attempted to tempt fate and see if I could get dessert and the check in the fifteen minutes before the first movie started.

Chocolate pot de creme.  It was chocolatey.
I did, but it was very close, as I sat down with just a few minutes to spare.  The first movie was Marnie.  Again.  Again again.  But this is the first time since reading the book, and all my points on that hold.  It is still the best movie of the year.

The only problem Marnie has is that it's only an hour and forty-three minutes, and the gap between the two movie starts was three hours.  The doors open thirty minutes prior to a movie, so I had something like 45 minutes to kill.  And, since I entered the museum with a "cafe/movie" red sticker, I wasn't allowed to see any art.  Well, any galleries of art.  Incidental courtyard sculpture was fine, and wall-based murals too.  It's hard to block that kind of thing.  But since the cafe closes at two, this left only one place to kill time: the gift shop.

This did give me the chance to take a detailed look at all the books on sale there, with me ending up buying a book on Hokusai.  "Have you finished the book you got last time you went to the museum?"  I'm more than half way done with it.  I do have like three other books I've bought since as well, so I'm not doing this correctly.  Whatever.  I also got this:


It's a book for kids, I guess.

Each page has most of a bear, and you a kid can fill in the rest.
The second movie was The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness, which is about Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli.  It's the source for this gif set, and was filmed around the time of this blog post, as they reference the same news story.  The main story is watching Miyazaki work on The Wind Rises, with a back story of reports from Isao Takahata's group working on The Tale of Princess Kaguya.  I've linked to those pages as the original plan was to release both of the movies on July 20, 2013.  As you can see, the main part of the Takahata reports was that he was not on schedule to hit that date, and he didn't.  It was an interesting view on how Ghibli films are made, and the discussion of Hideaki Anno doing the voice was funny.  Here are my reviews of the two movies.  Kaguya is the better of the two.

After that, I was hungry again, and decided I wanted fish.

So...
 Nico's is far busier at dinner time.  However, eating alone means you can skip lines if you don't mind eating at the bar.

Seafood pasta.  Pretty much all the seafood with a creamy sauce with vegetable bits.  It was sufficiently good that the fishing boat captain who sat down next to me and was only there for a beer decided to get the chicken version.  "I smell fish all day long, and when I go to bed in my cabin, I can smell them cutting the fish up down below."
 And then taking the long way home to listen through the Marnie soundtrack.

Today's Drawlloween is "alien."  He has pants because he's not some sort of barbarian alien.  They can weave as well as make ray guns.

Fuck.  Now I have to make all the links links. :-/  11:16:27.
Links done. 11:19:31. :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment