Friday, October 30, 2015

Friday: Thank fuck it's Friday.

The pizza place by work is open again.  It's being run by the people who run the Mexican place and the wing place that are in the same building.  I wonder if the change in management means that the pizza people who used to work there are gone.

The pizza is pretty much the same, although they're using super thick corrugated boxes now.  They also overcooked the pepperoni/mushroom pizza they had today.
And I spent most of the day fixing code that I'm fairly sure has never worked, based on the number of typos I had to fix.

Today was the last of the cider.  I still have a bunch of cups, so depending on if they have cider next week, I may make an extension of cider/doughnut week.

And then I did Drawlloween:
The theme of which was "spider."
But when I went to take the standard picture of it, I couldn't find my phone.  Not on top of the couch like it usually is, not in any of the cracks of the couch, not dropped on the floor.  So I go to the android phone finder thing, and tell it to ring my phone.  Which, despite the claim of "this will loudly ring your phone for five minutes," I get one lame "doodly doodly doo" which I can confidently place to "around the couch somewhere."  It doesn't help that the trades are gone, so it's a million degrees in my apartment without my fan on.  Which, of course, I can't run while listening for my phone.  So after clicking the ring button a thousand times, I finally narrow it down to "my phone has to have slipped through the effectively zero size gap between the couch and the wall and is now under the couch.  Pull the stupid thing out, and yes, there's my phone sitting there.  It's not hurt any from falling, which is good.


  • Here's the thing, most content on the internet is commoditized: one unit of content is effectively equivalent to another unit of content.  There is also effectively an infinite amount of internet content.  Therefore, the nominal price for a unit of internet content is zero.  Claiming "ad-blocking hurts people, so that's why we need a subscription service" isn't really accurate.  Ads are annoying, and after watching an unskippable 30-second ad that played before a 15-second youtube video, blocking all ads indiscriminately seems like the best solution.  If ad tech hadn't ruined any chance of being seen as anything but time leeches, they might have a point.  They don't though.  "But what about people who make their living making youtube videos?"  A lot of those people probably shouldn't be doing that.  A number of the people I watch have real jobs, and the youtube thing is a side project.  I bought a subscription to one group who consistently makes good content.  When I get around to doing so, I plan on organizing patreon subscriptions for a number of others, which I think is the kind of scheme youtube should have pioneered for their creators:  buy a subscription at the $X/month level, and then allocate those funds to the channels you like.  However, given that with this red service, yt plans to take (as they do with advertising) something like 40% off the top, eight times larger than the 5% quoted for patreon.  This seems like a far better use of money.
    • This is technically an expansion of the commodity point:  after discovering the feature, I now watch almost all of my youtube videos on double speed.
  • I was thinking something similar to this while driving home when Marketplace mentioned that something like six billion dollars will be spent on Halloween this year.
  • However, this costume is brilliant.
  • "But the company said that on that front, the “just” pertains to how it manufactures its products, reducing land use, water use, and carbon emissions while creating an allergy-free product."  Can the FDA fine a company for being insufferable douchebags?
  • Hayley Atwell.
  • This bird sings the Tototo theme.








No comments:

Post a Comment