Monday, October 5, 2015

Monday: Old shoes and new laptop. Or...



At least that was the planned title all day long.  I had to box up my new shoes with the split sole to send them back, and that meant wearing my old shoes.  They are surprisingly uncomfortable after wearing the new ones for three months.  My new laptop showed up today as well, so that all went as planned.

Until I got home after work and going to the UPS store to mail my shoes, and saw that I had a package notification sitting on my door.  The package?  The replacement shoes that I thought wouldn't get shipped until they received my defective ones.  

See?

The new laptop (chespin) is working reasonably well.  systemd is a piece of shit, but I knew that going in.  For some reason, even doing all the completely non-intuitive shit it requires to disable the system going to suspend mode when the screen is closed doesn't work.  And since there's no log anywhere, you can't even really see if your change was respected in any way.  I'm sure I'll sort it out.

The only other things that don't seem correct are:


  1. The trackpoint not doing middle click scroll (which I'm not going to bother explaining, but it's important).  This is supposed to be fixed with kernel 4.0, and I updated to a 4.2 kernel, but I haven't rebooted yet.
  2. Sound seems to default to the HDMI output on the display port port.  I can redirect it, but I need a global setting.
  3. I'm not totally sure that I have the network setting saved permanently.
  4. The page up/down keys are in the wrong place, so I may need to map shift-home and shift-end to shift-pgup shift-pgdn (because I really only ever use those keys to do terminal scrolling).
  5. It's super light and thin, and kind of feels like it's not real.
  6. I need to configure the open-gl stuff so everything can be accelerated like it's supposed to be.  This is generically a pain, so it'll probably be a weekend thing.
  7. Mouse acceleration is too slow.
  8. I need to rsync and cvs up everything.
  9. Also develop a global data storage strategy so all laptops and my main computer can have a uniform location for things, making it easy to find and restore things.


Stupid Antiques Roadshow was offset by half an hour so I didn't notice I was late to start my drawlloween until 10:20.  So.  "Werewolf."


No comments:

Post a Comment