Friday, October 23, 2015

Friday: I'm starting to think about a new main computer.

I should probably wait a bit, since I just bought a new laptop, but I'm thinking I should be able to get something far better than what I have now for something in the $1k range, most of which is going to go to disk space.  The main complication is that I'm thinking that instead of buying a big powerful computer, I'm thinking about a small cluster of mini-ITX.  My current thinking is to get two storage nodes that have their disks connected into a single (replicated) large gluster array.  This would allow me to copy all my current disks into that array, without having to worry about losing data.  Putting the disks into a RAID would probably be a better idea, but I'm not completely sure how robust gluster is.  The benefit of this kind of cluster arrangement is that in the future I can simply replace nodes.  The mini-ITX boards are also far more energy efficient, so I'd probably reduce my power consumption.

I'm also thinking about adding two processing nodes as well, one of which would be the main front end and web/CVS/database server, with the backup processing node available for mythtv processing as well as hosting a database server slave.  The other things this setup would need is an actual router on the network, as well as one of these stand-alone tuners to do the DVR capture.

The other good aspect of this plan is that with one massive storage volume containing all of my current disks, I can sit down and do some sort of structuring of my data, so I don't need to hunt and `find . -name '*crap*'` so much.  It'd be fairly easy to set up some sort of rsync on my laptop as well, so all that data would be automatically added.

Remember this juice bear?  I learned yesterday that the farm is an actual place you can go visit.

There are a lot of flower types in the candy I bought yesterday.
 I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to draw today's Drawlloween.

"Gore."  I'm glad I remembered synonyms.

No comments:

Post a Comment