Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Wednesday: Why am I so sleepy today?

It's to the point where I had no desire to cook dinner tonight, so I just picked up crappy sushi for dinner. Extra crappy. I should have thrown it on the floor and insulted them for it.

I also forgot this story from yesterday: I was driving home on Piikoi, and there was a guy crossing the street with his dog (black lab, let's say? It was a pretty big happy looking dog, and stayed that way throughout the entire encounter).  I was in the left lane, and slowed down so that he would have no problem crossing my lane way before I got there.  In the right lane was a black Mercedes, the driver of which was either not paying attention, or hated big happy looking dogs.  I see the guy stop in the middle of the street, at which point the Mercedes slams on the brakes to stop before hitting him.  By this point, I've reached the crosswalk, and have pulled up next to the Mercedes and stopped, as I don't hate big happy looking dogs.  The guy is shouting at the driver of the Mercedes, and is swinging his bag of dog poop around, making it look like he's going to throw it at the windshield. He eventually keeps going and reaches the other side of the street.  I finish my drive home, but notice in my rear view mirror that the Mercedes is still stopped in the street, with the driver in shock.

Tl;dr: people in fancy cars are usually pretty crappy drivers.

I've also spent part of this evening looking at restaurants in Anchorage.  I figure that seafood should probably also be the focus there, as they're also pretty close to the ocean.  My initial thought was to get salmon and king crab legs.  Looking at menus, it turns out that king crab is crazy expensive.  Still, when else am I going to be in Alaska?  It also looks like halibut is local and popular, so that's probably worth checking out.  Since it's easier to have a list ready-to-go, I'm going to link to the places that look promising now.

  • Snow City Cafe.  I know I'm going to want pancakes when I get in, and this place looks like it does breakfast.
  • Crush wine bar. That menu has a lot of tasty looking dishes.  Meatloaf au foie gras? That's a good idea.
  • Humpy's Alehouse.  This seems to get lots of good reviews on yelp.  It kind of just looks like a random pub-style place though.  Kind of on the fence on this one.
  • Simon and Seafort's. "CHILI-SMOKED TIGER PRAWNS/BACON-CHEESE GRITS, BARBECUE HOLLANDAISE SAUCE". Wow. I kind of want to eat that now.
  • The Crow's Nest. Looks a bit expensive, but it's a restaurant on top of a hotel.  I'm a sucker for eating way high in the air.  Plus, that salmon looks tasty: "house cured pancetta, chardonnay & caramel poached apples, pearl onions, brussel leaves, fingerlings, orange gastrique"
  • Glacier Brewhouse. A lot of places seem to make their own beer there.  Another pub style place, although this one looks a bit more upscale than Humpy's. Also: better name.
  • Club Paris. Isn't a four-inch, 14oz filet mignon better classified as a chateaubriand?
  • Modern Dwellers Chocolate Lounge. A lounge. For chocolate. Yes.
  • Sacks Cafe. Decent looking dinner menu.  Plus they make the food look good in the slideshow.  And they put a giant cheese plate in that slideshow.
We'll see how many of these I get to.  Nine restaurants in five and a half days is probably a bit optimistic.

"I will sit on you. Then you'll cooperate."

I'm not saying that someone who is tiny and super cute has a birthmark that looks exactly like she was stabbed, but I am saying exactly that.

No comments:

Post a Comment