Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Wednesday: I wish people would learn how to drive

Coming home from Target today was annoying due to traffic.  The main problem is that people don't try to get up to speed before merging.  Because of this, they slow down the right most lane.  This cascades into other lanes, as people attempt to flee the slow-moving right lane.  However, they're now not going the same speed as the people in that lane, so it causes the entire highway to slow down.  Since the carrying capacity of the highway is basically a function of the number of lanes and the average speed, having the average speed drop to a tenth what it should be means the highway is only a tenth as effective as it could be.  The proof is left to the reader.

This also ignores the fact that not having long enough merging lanes before turning them into an exit ramp is also a bad idea.  This basically doubles the above effect, as you have two lanes attempting to switch locations (to first order).  This quickly drives the average speed in those lanes down to ~zero.

Anyway, I bought some oreos like I said I would:

Random pictures:
That pan isn't even big enough to cook all that pasta to start with.

Dog and Cat are friends.
  • This is a terrible idea.  There's no reason to tie grades to paying, even less so to support the textbook oligarchs.  I knew a professor who was writing a reasonably popular book.  He was getting basically zero royalties from it, despite the shelf price being ~$100.  He was writing it because he wanted to have his say on the subject, not to get rich.
  • Fucking. Code. Veronica.  I think I've played about 20 minutes of this game seven times.  It's a shame, because I was expecting something playable.
  • Huh.  I don't grill my hot dogs, though.  Still, something to think about for the 4th (which is only a week away?).
  • Remember when everyone loved the Matrix movie, and then they came out with two more that were total shit and everyone made fun of them, and people had to start saying, "yeah, I like the Matrix. Just the first one though, that wasn't so bad."  Avatar.
  • Squirrels!

No comments:

Post a Comment