Thursday, June 14, 2012

Thursday: End of convention means beginning of a cold

It's pretty much inevitable.  This one doesn't feel as bad as the one I had in Washington, DC years ago.

Funny note about that: that book I bought Tuesday? I totally bought that from the same guy who was at that Washington, DC AAS.  How do I remember that? Because he went to dinner with us one night.

Since today was the last day, everything ended a bit early, and I finally got to see how the booths break down at the end.  It's kind of funny how it goes from "normal convention" to "stripping posters off the boards and packing up displays" in about a half hour.  Ending early did have one extra benefit: I was actually able to make it out for a real lunch today.
I wonder why they named it this, but I'm too lazy to look it up.
 It's pretty much a standard dive bar atmosphere.  It was apparently also one of the places on Man vs. Food, which I didn't know before I read the menu.  Yelp was a big fan, and the fact that it's a block away from the convention center didn't hurt.  Since I had a burger yesterday, I didn't want to do that, and paying $50 for a pound of king crab legs that I'd have to fight to eat didn't sound like fun either.  My final decision was the fish and chips, with halibut as the fish.
They're kind of more like halibut nuggets, though.
Decent flavor, soggy fries, does any even like tartar sauce?  Not bad, and compared to any of the "lunches" I've had so far this week, perfectly fine.  I'm not totally sure this place deserves the wonderful reviews I read, but not bad.

I then went back to the hotel and slept for like four hours.  I win at everything.  Since it was getting late-ish (despite what the Sun would have me believe by still being up and shiny right now at 11:10PM), I just went downstairs to the hotel restaurant for dinner.  Not my best idea of this trip.
Beer cheese soup. Clearly needed some more cheese flavor, and some more skill.

Chicken Oscar with king crab bits.  The chicken was ok, but this wasn't really that well made.
 So, yeah. Don't eat dinner at the hotel restaurant.  The room service yesterday was fine, but also has a different menu.  I can't imagine that they have two kitchens, so it may just be an issue of getting someone talented making the meals.
I didn't eat this, because what are the odds of finding bentos in Alaska?  Anyway, Totoro.
I am looking forward to getting home, since I've been packing or living out of a suitcase for almost a month now.  I'll be glad to be home long enough to plan out a week's menu without having to avoid things rotting in my fridge while I'm away.  Then again, I am flying to the UK in August.  This summer is just full of travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment