Thursday, June 28, 2012

Thursday: I wore my grumpy pants today, apparently

I'm not entirely sure why.  I don't think I got enough sleep last night.  I had to take my car in to get the safety inspection thing done. Again. I have some suspicion that I may have caused the guy who did the sale to break a rule (or law maybe), and I think he's trying to get it sorted out.  Yay for laziness, I guess.
I saw this double rainbow on the drive home. It's hard to see the second order in this picture.
On the drive home, I was thinking about how stupid spoilers are on the backs of cars.  Race cars need them because they're so aerodynamic, and go so fast, that they can start to lift off the ground slightly.  Since they tend to be rear-wheel drive, lifting up can cause them to lose traction and spin the wheels, making them jerk around.  Therefore, they have a wing on the back to produce "downforce" that keeps the rear wheels firmly on the ground.  Since the force is related to the speed of the car (as it's due to the wind going over the wing), this solves the problem of lift.  Street cars never get to those kind of speeds, and never have such traction issues, a spoiler is useless.

Doubly so if the car is front wheel drive, like the Toyota I was stuck behind at the light.
Squirrels usually don't wear hats. Or take indoor stools outside.
 The other thing I was thinking about while driving home was why people in Hawaii leave so much space between cars when stopped at a light.  The realization I had was that people probably stop when they can't see some fixed point on the car in front of them.  Let's say it's the license plate, and that all plates are a fixed distance above the road.  Now, imagine two drivers of different heights.  They'll see that height at slightly different angles below the parallel to the road, with the taller driver having a larger angle.  Therefore, if both drivers have the same length hood/whatever, the taller driver will be able to pull closer before the plate is blocked.  Assuming Hawaii has in general shorter drivers than Michigan (which I can guess from the outlier I saw yesterday who couldn't see over the wheel), then the average distance between cars will also be larger.

That said, if you leave a car-and-a-half length in front of you, you're still an asshole.
Oh noes, Hedgie!

Man, how can anyone hate a panda?

This is both a brilliant prank and a good way to get hit.

Everyone knows Josephine Baker, right?  I think I've mentioned her before.  I just liked this photoshopped pic.

Target. Land of instant substitute jokes.

  • I just watched this episode today.  I'm unclear whether this was a happy or sad episode.  The fact that Princess Cookies has to live in the Candy Kingdom insane asylum is depressing.  On the other hand, the Crazy Tart Toter was there, too.
  • So this is why tomatoes taste crappy.  Good to know.
  • You will never eat this bowl of cereal. Tony the Tiger will have killed you in your sleep the night before.
  • I feel like I should go get some this weekend to eat in solidarity.
  • This may be a french bulldog and not a boston terrier.
  • I think, after reading this story, if I were a Supreme Court justice (keeping in mind that that is a lifetime appointment), I would to the following.  Choose someone else on the court that I hate. Like, say, Tony Scalia.  Then, pretend to be on his side on close decisions, and get him to write his opinion like it's going to be the law. Finally, at the last minute, switch sides just to make him look dumb and force him to rewrite the opinion.
  • This is a boston terrier.  At least the part that isn't fucking terrifying. Sorry, no, that part doesn't exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment