Monday, June 4, 2012

Monday: I have no idea what to call this

Creamy mushroom pasta?  That sounds like some really bad frozen dinner, whereas this was full of super-deliciousness.  Let's just look at the recipe:
 Here are most of the ingredients.  A big portabello, some king oyster mushrooms, shallot, basil, vermouth, cream, garlic paste, and umami paste to cheat.  Off camera I have two strips of bacon cooking and rendering, and a pot of water on boil for the linguine that I don't have a picture of until plating below.

Basically, I used the mushroom/bacon combo from last friday's grill-stravaganza, and expanded it into a pasta sauce.  Once the bacon was cooked, I removed it, drained most of the grease out, and added the shallot and sliced mushrooms:

Once those were largely done, I added the pastes to boost the flavor, and then deglazed with the vermouth.  That reduced, and then I added the cream and corrected the seasoning at the end.  Add in the linguine and toss, add some parmesan (and a bit of pasta water to get the consistency right), and then plate:

One day the phone will take the picture with the correct orientation.
Top with the bacon (now crumbled up) and a quick chiffonade of basil.  Plate with some bread slathered in Naked Cow dairy local butter.  I wish WF had a decent wheat loaf, as the rye I got was a bit too harsh with the smoothness of the pasta.  Still, it worked well.  The vermouth brings a light sweetness to the sauce, and the bacon gives just the right amount of salt (I used no extra salt).  I wasn't totally happy with the sauce thickness, and after I had eaten half I remembered that I didn't add any butter to it at the end.  That would have probably fixed the slight issue I had with it.  I'm repeating the recipe tomorrow, so I'll have to try then and see what happens.

Business cat.


No comments:

Post a Comment