Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Tuesday: Good data news

Apparently bad sectors aren't good, but aren't a sign of imminent drive failure.  I'm glad I have a replacement on the way, but I've switched the DVR back to point at the big disk.  Part of this was prompted by the fact that I discovered today that the DVR saw it had a small disk, panicked, and auto-expired (read: deleted) pretty much every show I hadn't watched yet.  So now it's back to having lots of space, so it won't panic again.

Since I rsynced things around, I have a copy of the bits for all of those shows, but they're stored in files that are basically CHANNEL_DATETIME.nuv, which isn't super useful.  However, I discovered that there's an oldrecorded table in the database that retains all the metadata for deleted shows.  It contains most of the information used in the active recorded table, so I should be able to simply do an INSERT INTO recorded (SELECT * FROM oldrecorded WHERE recordid IN (x,y,z,a,b,c)); to recover those shows so I can watch them again.  It's inconvenient, but nice to see that throughout this whole thing, the only thing I've lost is the episode of Rachel Maddow I taped so I could see the Paul Krugman interview.

I also updated mythtv today, which means mythmusic doesn't work anymore.  I never really used it, except to play music while cooking Thanksgiving dinner.  I'll look into it later this week.

Random picture time:
What are you doing deer? You're not even in this class.

Bunny!

This happens to me pretty much every day.

I spent so much time working on the computer that I didn't feel like cooking. I went and got tacos instead.  I did not fuck up my "eating taco" roll like this lady, though.

I think this one counts as my one-year everyday blogging anniversary.  It's actually a lot easier than I expected it would be, and it gives me a nice chance to save random crap I've found on the internet in a way that's easier to use than bookmarks.  Usually I don't care to visit these pages in a direct-access manner.  I just want to go back and click on random things that are cool.  I wonder how long I can keep this up now.

No comments:

Post a Comment