Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Tuesday: WTF, the USPS?

I haven't been getting mail.  Any mail.  Which recently struck me as "unusual."  Yesterday I put a note in my mailbox asking WTF was going on, and after not hearing anything back, I went to the local post office to ask them WTF was going on.  There I was told that I had to register at the post office, so they know I live there now.  Besides that, they want to change the lock on the mailbox before they'll deliver mail, to prevent mail theft.  This is something I've never heard of, and it's dumb, and now I have to wonder if things I've ordered won't arrive because they've been returned.  One of the reasons I looked into this is that I was expecting an order, and the tracking information said it was undeliverable.  Luckily, they had it at the post office, so I was able to get my package of 61 purple hair ties.

They're thicker than my old set of purple hair ties, but less dark.  They're more lavender or lilac or something.  Still works.
Continuing my theme of mail-related shenanigans, today was payday, and it turns out if you don't arrange direct deposit, they just put the check in your work mailbox.  Cool.  Now I don't feel poor, although my rent will be taken out tomorrow.  Hopefully I can get the moving reimbursement soon to take care of that.

Plus, I had an email that I had boxes in the mail room.  I went to check, and my two monitors for work were waiting.  I'm hoping the actual system arrives tomorrow, because I'd like to switch away from my laptop as soon as possible.  There was also a third box which should have had my external backup drive.  Instead I found this:
That's not right.
So we'll see how this all works out.  The tech person in charge of ordering had never seen this happen, either.

Finally, I looked into switching things over from CVS to git.  It doesn't seem too hard, the biggest issue is sorting out how I want to organize things.  I think my plan is to set up year-based project repositories under a ~/project directory, with some common files either there or in the ~/usr/share directory in a ~/usr repository that will also hold all my scripts and things.  One thing I think this will help with is the inevitable drift between versions on different hosts.  I can put each host on a different branch, and do periodic merges to keep things consistent.



No comments:

Post a Comment