Thursday, October 20, 2016

Thursday: You lied, Amazon.

I was looking forward to reading the adventures of Squirrel Girl this evening.  You told me it would be here.  It is not here, Amazon.  It is not here at all.

I did get my refund from Target for those sheets I bought.  $130 worth of refund.  I guess it's good that I didn't buy laundry soap at the grocery store this evening, as I can get it with my free sheet money.

The problem I've been fighting at work for so long is finally sorted.  The biggest part of the problem?  After doing an initial fit guess, it's supposed to iteratively refit things, using tighter acceptance criteria.  This assumes that the initial fit is ok, but might have outliers with large variance.  So doing this iteratively will clip those bad points out, letting the fit converge to the true data.

Except the calling function assumes the fit function will do however many iterations it says, and the fit function assumes it's being told which iteration it's working on.  This means it jumps immediately to the final iteration with the tighest criterion, which is why I've been getting such terrible fits.

And I saw a cat and Venus.

  • Title:  The Haunter of the Dark
  • Date:  1935
  • Summary:  Robert Bloch Robert Blake moves to Providence, and can see an abandoned church from his apartment.  He decides breaking and entering is fine, as long as you're really curious, and breaks into the church.  It's full of all sorts of books that probably wouldn't be sitting in an abandoned church.  He steals a journal that's in code, and climbs up to the steeple, where he finds a long dead reporter and an odd stone.  He goes home as the sun sets, and eventually starts to decode the book.  He discovers that he's summoned something by looking at the stone, and that it only hasn't gotten him yet because it can stand light, and the streetlights keep it trapped.  Guess what happens?  There's a storm, the power goes out, and he get's monster-scared to death.
  • Real Villain:  Darkness.
  • Last line in italics?  No.
  • Writer writes instead of fleeing?  Yes.
  • Rating:  5/10.
  • Read it:  Here.
blah blah blah.



No comments:

Post a Comment