Monday, October 10, 2016

Monday: "It's the special cilantro that you like!"

"There is no cilantro that I like."

I finally brought this into the office.
Because I had to bring my laptop in to give that talk, so I had my bag with me.  The talk went ok, but I couldn't get my laptop to display correctly.  I really need to reinstall everything on it.

TldrL:

  • Title:  The Picture in the House
  • Date:  1920
  • Summary:  Guy in the middle of nowhere, MA, gets caught in a storm, and takes shelter in an unlocked house.  There's a strange book, and he's creeped out by it.  He hears noises, and the old man who owns the house comes downstairs and is creepy.  This guy has totally been killing and eating people for centuries, and it's keeping him alive.  That would be it, but a drop of blood drips from the ceiling, because he's been killing somebody upstairs, and the normal guy is about to try to escape when the entire house is destroyed by a lightning bolt.
  • Real Villain:  Intentionally eating strangers.
  • Last line in italics?  No.
  • Writer writes instead of fleeing?  Yes.  Technically no, but this ending is so "THEN WHO WAS PHONE" that it counts.  You can't kill your narrator in the story without giving some plausible way for them to be telling the story.
  • Rating:  3/10.
  • Read it:  Here.
And there was stuff with statistics, which leads to the main lessons of distributions.  If the values can take any value, it's probably a power law.  If it has one more likely value, then you can probably just use a Gaussian and be ok.



No comments:

Post a Comment