Saturday, January 17, 2015

Saturday: It's good that I had a backup plan.

I woke up wanting a pastrami sandwich.  I suspect that's because I always want a pastrami sandwich.  Yelp suggested a place in Waikiki, but I didn't want to bother fighting parking and traffic to get there.  Oddly enough, Earl showed up in the search, despite not having pastrami anywhere on their menu.  In any case, Earl sounded like it would be a good alternative.  Unfortunately,

You can't read it, but the paper in the window under the "R" states that they're closed today so they can prepare for the Honolulu night market.  Crap.
The burrito place and the Mexican place are in that neighborhood, but I decided to try someplace I haven't been to in a long time.  Big City Diner (I assume the server issues they're currently having are temporary).  I thought that I remembered a patty melt, which I am constantly searching for.

It was basically empty.
So what does their patty melt look like?
Hrm.

Well, it fails my patty melt criteria.  I had to get it without the thousand island dressing, which breaks the "no mayo" rule.  It's also on Texas toast, which isn't rye.  Jack isn't both swiss and american cheeses.  It has mushrooms, which isn't standard either.  The biggest problem isn't visible, though.  The mushrooms and onions were both cooked with a lot of garlic, and that overpowers the flavor of everything else.  It's a bit overly greasy as well, which didn't help.

So even though I had a backup plan, it wasn't really a satisfying replacement.


No comments:

Post a Comment