Saturday, May 11, 2013

Saturday: yadrutaS

I'll be glad when this week is over, and I can use unthemed titles.  Today's would be "BBQ?"

It turns out there's actually a BBQ place in Hawaii.  Proper BBQ.  Not this, or this, or this, or this.  Like this, but better.  I'll freely admit that Dixie Grill isn't the absolute best BBQ ever, but it's certainly up towards the top.  The brisket was very good, perfectly tender and juicy.

Served on a tray covered in paper.
I went with the meat plate, because duh.  I went with the four meat, as the maximum threshold of turkey is far below that of pig and cow.  It would just be a waste of time.  Clockwise from the obligatory white bread that I ignored:

  • Cornbread casserole.  Super thick cornbread, with a tasty sweet crust on the bottom and a sprinkling of cheese on top.
  • Brisket.  Cut about a quarter inch thick, and tender enough to cut with my fork.
  • Pork belly.  Yes, it's bacon.  Deep fried bacon if I guess correctly.  Crispy and not too heavy, and worked wonderfully with the sweeter sauces.
  • Tri tip.  I would not get this again, I think.  Cut very thin, and it had a decent flavor, but it reminded me more of an Arby's roast beef.  Acceptable, but overwhelmed given the competition on the plate.
  • Pulled pork.  Mine's better, but this wasn't bad.  The two things that make that true are that I rub the pork with a lot more spices than they did, and I also make sure to pull out the clumps of fat.
  • Mac&cheese.  It was cheesy.
I'm not totally sure if it was the fact that I was sitting at an open air table within sight of the ocean on a tropical island, or if it was just the regular run-of-the-mill meat sweats, but after eating half of this plate, I was done.  Stuffed full of tasty meat, with enough leftover that I know what I'm doing for lunch tomorrow.


Six pack of sauce.
They make and bottle their own sauce, too, although they don't really do that great of a job cleaning the caps between uses.  They're all place based sauces, so east to west:


  • Eastern Carolina.  Thin, not very flavorful, made a mess when I tried to pour it.  No thanks.
  • Savannah. Mustard based. Not my type of sauce.
  • Memphis.  Honestly? I've forgotten.  I kind of liked it, and I think it had a decent spice.
  • Kansas City.  Too sweet.  Kind of a generic bbq taste.
  • Southwest Texas.  Good enough that I bought a bottle to take home.  Heavy on the roasted pepper flavor, but not overpowering
  • Hawaiian.  My second favorite.  Sweet and fruity (pineapple? guava?), but without being cloying.
I tried to find out how long they've been open, since I hadn't heard about them until about a month ago.  Yelp has reviews dating back to 2007, so...I must have just missed it.  It's run by the Auntie Pasto's people, which kind of surprised me.  I like this place far better, enough to put it on the "list of places my parents would probably like next time they visit."  I need to have shorter named lists.

I then went to target and bought new trash cans.  I've been disappointed with the ones I have, and have now switched to the "swingy-top" style.  I like them, although the back swing bit extends beyond the base, so you have to have them backwards to do the "drop trash, trash magically disappears" thing.  Today was also the day that I discovered that you can in fact change the battery in your car key, and that makes it actually unlock the car on the first push, instead of making you swear at it while walking closer, tugging on the door handle, and frantically mashing the button.  It's like magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment