Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Tuesday: new disks

I've installed them after swapping around drive cables because I'm not fucking paying $22 for a fucking sata cable when I can get two for $3 from amazon.

Formatted and all that, with UUID values that I manually set so I don't forget which one is which.  I'm rsyncing the data I did have backed up, and I've deleted the important things from the DVR with the added command to rerecord them.  I know I'm unlikely to be able to catch up on some shows (like those that were cancelled), but I can at least try to recover somewhat.

I decided against doing the RAID solution, in favor of a JBOD solution.  I think the correct failsafe method is as follows:

  1. Drive 00000000-0000-0000-0001-abcdefabcdef will be the master DVR drive, and serve the main copy of the mp3s, images, videos, etc.
  2. Drive 00000000-0000-0000-0002-abcdefabcdef will be rsynced daily from the master, and serve as a hot swappable replacement if the primary fails.  Since this will be structurally equivalent to the master, I can repoint the DVR just by changing the symlink.
  3. If either drive fails, I immediately replace it with the current $100-tier disk.  This suggests that in a year when one of these fails, I'll upgrade to a 3TB disk.  That allows a reasonable growth in data volume.
  4. Keeping them out of RAID allows me to temporarily use the full free space if I need to backup a laptop or something.  It's more flexible than committing half the free space to unused RAID redundancy.
  5. The external USB drive will still get the standard backups of the "valuable" data, such as the mp3s, images, videos, etc.
  6. I should probably have an offsite backup solution, but that's slightly harder without having hardware I can control remotely.  I'll continue pondering this aspect.
Also, I know I didn't zero index the drives.  Since I was able to largely recover after the previous disk failure, I'm claiming that the one that just died was ---0000-.

Friends.

Squirrel!
  • Wait, so to protest people being allowed to get married, you decided to show them all by shooting yourself?  That's...that's just a really poorly thought out plan.
  • I know it's overly optimistic, but I really hope this bites him in the ass.  Either way, he's pretty much screwed on this one.  Option A, he tells his constituents that he doesn't give a damn about them. Option B, he shows that he's a hypocrite.
  • Helen Mirren. Again. Being awesome. Again.
  • Mario dog.
  • I don't have a bear perspective today, but this link does.
  • Remember when I called Peggy Noonan an idiot over the weekend?  Here's more details on why that's totally true.

No comments:

Post a Comment