Sunday, May 26, 2013

Sunday: Part 2

It's a good thing that I broke out the Sun thing into its own post.  This is already going to be too long and complicated.  I think my suggestion is going to be to read only a little bit at a time, so I can link back here later in the week when I have nothing to post.  Yes, I could save things, or schedule a post, but that seems dumb.

Part 2.1: Burger Time

I decided to get a burger for late-lunch today.  Honolulu Burger Company won out, although I think this was my most disappointing visit.
Truffle fries.
The first issue was that they still don't have a small fry size for fries with toppings.  This basket is just too big for one person.  It's not even really the money, it's more that I feel bad throwing away 60% of my fries.

Mushroom mushroom burger.
 The second issue was that my burger had some issues.  I asked for no-tomato, no-sauce, and the girl at the counter entered that in correctly.  However, my burger arrived with both of those.  In addition, the bun was cold and somewhat stale.  Ick.  This led to me just ignoring the bun and eating the burger "fancy style."

Wow.
Then this couple came in, and decided to again point out that Japan is better at eating lots of food than America.  It's hard to see, but he has a triple burger (I can barely finish the single).  She went lighter, only getting a double.

Part 2.2: Fourier Transforms, Again

This week I re-remembered another important detail about FFTs (this is another in this series of random points about FFTs).  Consider this image:
This is just a sine wave tipped at 45 degrees.  Now, look at the power spectrum:
Ok, the two spots make sense, as those correspond to the point in the (U,V) plane that has that frequency, along with it's reflection (the negative frequency).  But what's up with all that other crap?

FFTs make the assumption that the signal is periodic, and since it only has the image to work with, the default thing to do is to calculate a circular FFT, where the left and right edges wrap around, and the top and bottom do as well (making a video game torus).  However, since the sine signal doesn't nicely match up at the edges (most obvious at the top and bottom), this introduces a lot of extra Fourier components that correspond to those + shapes.

The solution to this problem is to taper the image down so that it is effectively periodic.  The easiest way to do this is to just multiply by a Gaussian so that the edges drop down to zero at the edges, like this:
Ok, what's this look like in (U,V)-space?
The two dots we expect.  There's some lower level noise, but this has the same colormap as the previous spectrum.  The dots aren't perfect points, which I think tells us something about the size of the Gaussian we used.

This is important, because the science stuff I've been playing with has odd edge effects that impose a strong sinc^2 signal onto the power spectrum.  This makes it difficult to isolate bad frequencies.  Remembering this trick solves that problem, and should make cleaning those images much easier.

Part 2.3: Travel Pants

I've been thinking about the various trips I'm likely taking in the second half of the year, and came to the conclusion that I think I want new pants for travelling.  Jeans really aren't very comfortable after eight hour flights, and I think I have ten hour flights coming up.  So, I spent part of the evening yesterday looking at various options.  I'm still not totally happy with the options.

  • Julie's simple option.  Cheap, but the downside is that they don't really look very good, especially if you're planning on going through customs.  I don't want to have to say, "No, really, I actually do have a Ph.D." (C9 by Champion® Men's Running Pant)
  • These seem like we have different understanding of "travel."  A lot seem to be for hiking, which is something I don't intend to do. (Kuhl Raptr Pants)
  • These seem like they'd be hot.  I'm very rarely actually cold while travelling, so I think that's the main issue I have.  Comfy, and not super hot. (Deluth Trading MEN'S MICROFIBER TRAVEL PANTS)
  • Similar issue with these.  They do look a bit more comfy than the previous one, though. (Travel Smith Aero Microfleece Pants)
  • I found a webpage that suggested these.  However, they're "convertable pants," which means they turn into shorts.  That means that they're automatically a no. (REI Endeavor Convertible Pants)
  • Maybe these?  Mostly cotton, but with added materials to make them stretch some.  Explicitly states that they're good for flights. (ExOfficio Men's Roughian™ Pant)
  • Another option.  Also look like they'd be comfortable, although "100% nylon" is suspicious. (Royal Robbins' Global Traveler Pant)
Hrm.  I should have added notes of brands and styles before closing all those tabs, since those links all go to retailers, and those aren't the most stable links.  I'll fix it in post.


Part 2.4: Shoes

The pant thing led me to thinking about shoes.  My shoes need to be replaced, as the tread has been largely worn off them.  They're still comfortable, so I'm tempted to just buy another pair.  Here are quick links for this.


  • What I have now.  Basically.  Mine has black stitching, which I would prefer. (Dr. Martens 1461)
  • Similar style.  These have a bit more stitching, which I'm not a fan of. (Dr. Martens Andre)
  • These have more laces.  I don't think I want texture. (Dr. Martens Boston)
  • These have fewer. Maybe for travel.  (Dr. Martens Ethan)
This search shomehow led me to shoe lace tie methods.  That led me to finding this one.  I'm thinking of switching my shoes to use it.  I generally prefer to not tie my shoes each time I wear them, as I usually keep them laced fairly loosely.  This works fine for my left shoe, but somehow my knot is always untied on the right one.  Yes, I realize this is a dumb thing to worry about.  Still, a way to have my shoes perma-tied at a decent level, while retaining the ability to adjust the fit somewhat seems like a good idea.


Part 2.5: Links


No comments:

Post a Comment