Thursday, May 9, 2013

Thursday: yadsruhT

It turns out there was another partial solar eclipse today.  I didn't know about it until this morning, when news showed up in my twitter feed.  I am the best astronomer ever.

In any case, I didn't have a chance to make a pinhole camera to view it, so I did the next best thing: use nature to do the work for me:

Excellent!
Basically, if you have sufficiently good trees around, and they block almost all the light, but occasionally let some through, you have a bunch of automatic pinhole cameras.  It's the same idea: most of the light is blocked out, but some of it is allowed to pass through a confined aperture, and constructs the image on a screen.  Or, in this case, constructs the image on the ledge outside my office window.


  • Odd that I see this thing about Time magazine being dumb on the same day I see this Onion report about Time's upcoming "Time for Adults" (unfortunately video only).
  • Huh.  This makes so much sense that it's clear it will never get through Congress.  I mean, if the government made student loans at the same rate the Fed gives to banks, then the banks would be unable to compete with the government.  Who then would profit on the backs of students?
  • Wait, wasn't this Elizabeth Bathory's theory?
  • Elizabeth Bathory, just in case you're not up-to-date on your historical foundations of vampire stories. 
  • Wow.  Those are the least inspired TV premises I've ever seen.  "This show stars X, but wait, he's Y and lives in Z! Plus, his wife is K, but she likes to L, but only after M! Isn't that wacky?"


No comments:

Post a Comment