Sunday, February 5, 2012

Sunday: Super Bowl

I would have had a picture here of a really tasty pulled pork sandwich, but my phone decided that actually taking pictures was too hard to do today.  Oh well.

Anyway, since my parents are visiting, and wanted to watch the Super Bowl, that was what we did today.  I made pulled pork to eat, along with chips and salad.  This also gives me a chance to put up my pulled pork recipe.  It's pretty simple.  Buy some pork butt at the store (I used two slices, since that's how WF sells it here. It came out to about three pounds).  Unwrap, and cover thoroughly with the rub:

  • 1tsp fennel seed (ground)
  • 1tsp cumin seed (ground)
  • 1tsp coriander
  • 1tbs smoked paprika
  • 1tbs onion powder
  • 1tbs chili powder
  • 1tbs brown sugar
  • 1/2tsp cayenne
  • 1/2tsp cinnamon
  • 1tbs salt
  • 1tsp pepper
Wrap the pork in foil, then wrap that foil in more foil, repeating until the pork is encased.  Preheat oven to 200ish, and then bake for 6-12+ hours.  Once you get past the six hour point, there's not really anything you can do to hurt it.  It will render out all the fat and connective tissue, which will combine with the rub and try to leak out of the foil.  Once it's done, pull it out, rip open the top of the foil, and use some tongs (or forks, or fingers if you want) to pull out the meat, leaving the fat behind.  I then drain out the liquid in the foil over the pork to keep it moist.  Today's serving used slider sized buns, with a bit of cheddar cheese and some bbq sauce.

  • Yes, because I watched the super bowl, I missed the more important sports game today, the Puppy Bowl.  I caught it in the continual loop reruns though, plus I recorded it on the DVR, so it's not that big of a deal.
  • Some highlights.
  • Mostly posting this because I just found that Foodland still carries the strawberry lilikoi juice.  Safeway seems to have dropped it, which sucks, because that's my favorite flavor of Hawaiian fake juices.

No comments:

Post a Comment