Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Wednesday: I can make that

First, I went to lunch at the manapua place again today, and again ate too much tiny buns. I need to remember that three is the correct number to get.  In any case, I got a drink, and noticed this:
You are not a doctor of medicine, Coca-Cola. Stop lying.

Since I made this discovery, I figured I could make my own version of this hot dog.  Ingredients:
Salad: romaine, slab of pineapple from yesterday, lilikoi-pepper jelly, macadamia nuts.  Slice the pineapple into small bits, and then mash with a fork.  Add in a bit of the jelly and mix to make a chunky dressing.  Mix with the lettuce and top with macadamia bits.

Hot dog: buffalo dog, Hawaiian bread bun, foie gras, mustard from Austin, dried cherries, really really old bottle of raspberry wine that isn't really up for drinking anymore.  Put some cherries in a ramekin, and cover with wine.  The dog, ramekin of cherries, and bun go under the broiler for ~10-15 minutes (bun obviously on the bottom rack under the cast iron pan I'm broiling in so it toasts, but doesn't burn).  When the dog is done, move pan to stovetop, and use the residual heat in the pan to sear foie gras on both sides for ~30 seconds each.

Plating:

Closeup:


I see why the original dog pairs the foie gras with a duck sausage.  This buffalo dog is a little bit too powerful for the foie gras (as is the mustard, as it's a bit spicy).  Still, this was obviously super delicious.  Om nom nom. I think I'll put the cherries in when I preheat the oven tomorrow, as they could easily have soaked up more of the wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment