Sunday, November 13, 2011

Sunday: Recipe theft!

Julie made this recipe, and posted about it here. She's suggested it to me in the past, but since I've had trouble finding avocados that weren't bricks, I was kind of hesitant to make it.  Then, I saw this video, and it made me think that this would probably work just as well with bay scallops instead of crab.  Then I changed the arugula for regular lettuce, as I couldn't find local arugula at the store.

Workspace. I was going to do monkey plate, but since it's mostly just a sauce, I didn't bother. Copying the recipe from Julie:

Sesame and Wasabi dressing
1 t prepared wasabi
1 t sesame oil
2 T mirin
1 T rice wine vinegar
1/2 t kosher salt (I used sea salt)
juice of 1/2 lime (you can see my juicer in the picture)


 Local avocado! This was super squishy, so it worked great.  Now I know where to get avocados for future guacamole.

Naked avocado:

For the scallops, I cooked them simply.  Big pat of butter in the pan, throw in the green onions up there in picture one, when they look good, toss in a bunch of scallops.  Shuffle shuffle cook cook, test that they're done, and then scoop in two tablespoons of the sauce into the pan, let it sizzle for a moment, and then dump everything over the top of the lettuce.

Then, take a picture too fast:

Try again:

I understand why the original recipe uses arugula.  The sauce isn't very intense, and even with crab instead of scallops (which are light on flavor as well), you kind of need something to spice it up a bit.  Looking at the original recipe again, it looks like it's supposed to have chili peppers.  I wish I had some of those tiny death chilis still.  Maybe a bit of chili oil will perk it up for tomorrow.

Linky time:

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I usually omit the peppers because I'm lazy and just add in more wasabi paste. Except that Dustin can't deal with spicy things, so we kept it mild. I think arugula would have helped add some pepper, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really want to add more wasabi, as I don't like that spicy flavor as much as other ones (like the chili oil). My other concern is that I don't want to duplicate flavors I'll be making tomorrow with the sriracha + mahi mahi.

    As for the arugula, I'm trying to do the eat local thing, so if it's not here, it's not here. \end{hipsterglasses}

    ReplyDelete