Sunday, November 13, 2011

I'm not the 1%, but...

I went to Foodland today to pick up the ingredients I was missing for dinner tonight.  My hope was that they'd have good soft avocados at R. Field, which is like a mini store within the store.

While there, I looked to see if I could find the Hawaii red veal, as they're listed as carrying it.  I did find it (it's opposite the cheese case, which explains why I've not found it in the past), and at $5.99/pound for ground, it's about the same as the ground beef I usually get.

I continued looking through the freezer case, looking over the duck leg confit, truffle butter, and fancy prepared meals, and found something I've been looking for: Hudson Valley foie gras.  I almost bought some, but since I had the weekly meal plan figured out, I couldn't come up with a reason to.  Then, on the drive home, I remembered that foie gras hot dog I had last weekend, and that hot dogs are on the menu for this week.  Maybe I'll pick some up to try to duplicate that.  It's pretty expensive, obviously ($63.99/pound), but since it comes in 0.1-0.2 pound slices, that's only about $10 per slice.  It also doesn't require too much to make something extra delicious, so that $10 slice would do two days of hotdogs, and still leave half the slice to be used in something else (apple maple foie gras, to recreate that dish I had at Villegas years ago?).  That's only like $2.50 per meal.  It's almost too cheap not to buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment