Thursday, November 10, 2011

Thursday: Not Friday

Even though it's felt like it is all day, since tomorrow is a holiday.  Food:
"Whatever, that's the same..."
"Whoa!"
I did remember to defrost some lamb stew last night, so I was able to turn the colcannon leftovers into the roof of a personal shepherd's pie.  The most important thing about doing this is that you have to make the mashed potatoes extra loose so that they spread smoothly.  I've had problems with having too chunky thick potatoes before.

I noticed when I went to google reader today that they've added an actual sharing thing now that goes to google plus.  I didn't try it out, but at least they're slowly trying to make it not suck.  However, this revamp added unnecessary side margins that eat up even more screen space with white nothingness, even in "full screen" mode.  I wish they'd get their act together.

  • Holy shit, somebody else remembered Elastica.  Admittedly, they didn't choose one of the songs I would have gone with, but the fact that they mentioned them at all counts for something.
  • These are kind of impressive.
  • Phil has interesting statistics, even if he did have to do a followup clarification.  However, I think he ignores a reasonably important aspect of things: barring funding issues or unusual external pressure, most grad schools try hard to place their students before they graduate.  This helps suppress the unemployment rate somewhat (while also allowing that grad school to claim high placement numbers during recruitment).  It also helps that astronomy has the job register that provides a centralized way for  hiring to procede.
  • I thought this was a cool story on homeschooling.  The hippy kind, not the crazy religious kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment