Sunday, November 20, 2011

Sunday: More tacos

Last of the hard taco shells, so I used the soft tortillas I bought yesterday as well.  I really like this taco meat, and I think I'll be adding the chipotle sauce to all my tacos in the future.  The layer of chips at the bottom of the bowl is also a good idea, as I then have something to pick up all the taco guts that fall out of the shells.  Also, I think it's time for random animal gifs:

Puppy want cupcake!

"Stop it!"
  • This news report probably would have been more dramatic if it hadn't come on the same day as this plan from the OWS people.
  • An interesting feature of the Texas droughts.
  • Piano squirrel.
  • I think this editorial is unnecessarily unfair.  Sure, Makana could have made a scene, but then there'd be an editorial about how he was disrespectful of the assembled people.  Let's just do a quick back-of-the-envelope calculation. I can't find any apartments in the Honolulu area for less than $700 a month.   Next, let's say that they can use TheBus to get around, which isn't impossible (although it takes awhile). That's a $60/month pass.  Now, if this person makes minimum wage, which in Hawaii is $7.25/hr. Assume 4x40 hour weeks a month, and that works out to an income of $1160, with $760 in housing and transportation expenses.  I find that FICA works out to be ~$65/month on this income, with an estimated income tax due of ~$37/month.  This then leaves something like $300 a month for all other expenses, or something like $10 a day.  Given that even McDonalds costs like $6 a meal here, that basically works out to a meal a day.  Working with "cans of soup in my pantry," you can eat two cans of soup a day, and just squeak past a month with $100 for all your other expenses.  Given that you won't freeze to death sleeping in a tent by the beach here, and you can always shower in the showers they have for people to rinse off after surfing, I think it's reasonably clear why the homeless problem is so large here.

No comments:

Post a Comment