Monday, January 16, 2017

Monday: MLK Day.

So I had another day in this weekend to do things.  I looked around last night to try and find some place I haven't been that had a lot of Pokestops.  Most places that aren't Waikiki have like one, and a number of parks have a lot, but located in places that I'm not sure are part of valid trails.  I thought about going to Koko Crater, but that kind of has bad trails, and gets super sunny and hot.  Still looking up botanical gardens (which KC is) pointed me to Ho'omaluhia Botanical Garden, which I've seen a bunch of times from the Pali Lookout, but have never visited.

But first, I had to get gas, and in a sign that things weren't going to work out like I hoped, I left my first gas station to go to a different one, because "making sure the stupid gas pump actually works" is a hard thing.  Also everyone else in existence decided to get a car wash today, so I guess I'm doing that some other day.

In any case, the botanical garden!
One of the nice things about going to the other side of the island is that the mountains look better.
And a lot of Squirtles, I guess.
 A gym with just a Blastoise in it?
LOOK AT MY KINGLER!

KINGLER!
 I was kicked out of this gym in exactly the amount of time it took to walk around a small art display.  Like three minutes.  I have no idea who it was, since everyone I saw was like 90 years old.
In any case, there's another gym down by the lake.

PINSIR TIME!
This didn't quite work as well as I wanted, but it explains why there's a park here.  Those cool looking mountains also mean that when it rains, a bunch of water can rush down the valley, and after that killed some people, they built a dam that encloses the park and created the lake.  This way, if there's another huge rain storm, it kills some plants and doesn't wash Kaneohe into the sea.
Also it's a good place for birds, even though there's a mongoose problem.
 I did see a few mongooses, but they're super skittish, and ran away before I could get a picture.  In any case, this sign points out that even though they're cute like squirrels, they're invasive murder machines, and killing endangered bird eggs is their favorite hobby.  So the ideal number would be zero to have.
Unlike the Squirtles, which clearly are the dominant species in the park.
Despite being billed as a botanical garden, it's not really set up that well.  There are separate areas for different regions, but a lot of the label signs need serious repair, and there aren't many useful "here's what makes this plant interesting" signs.  The few I did see were right next to the visitor's center, so maybe this is something they're working on?
I mean, there's only so many cool pictures I can take of the mountains.
 The trails could also use a bit of work.  This was at least the second time I've visited someplace where the Pokemon Go map was more useful than the park map.
I wanted to take a picture of this flower, but I got tired of having to restart PKMNG after every photo.  I probably should have brought a dedicated camera.

No one cares about you, Eevee.
 This was also the point of my walk where I caught up to the family of Dad, Sister 1, Sister 2, and No One Would Ever Care To Find You In This Park Kid So Maybe Just Shut Up.  Seriously, this kid was screaming about everything, and clearly was not enjoying his botanical exploration.  I'm also not sure "I'M GOING TO BITE YOU!" is a good thing to say, because then people know you're going to try to bite them.  Maybe go with "Would you like a hug?" because then it'll be a surprise, and you'll be far more likely to get the bite in, instead of Sister 2's foot kicking you away.


I wanted to take a big fish eye thing of the trees here.  So.  Big fish eye thing.
After hiking around for a long time, I had the problem of finding dinner/lunch.  In Kaneohe.  Which I never visit, because Kaneohe just feels like a weird pretend version of a real city.  I don't know why, but it always feels wrong to me.  In any case, the news had a big thing that Buffalo Wild Wings had opened at Windward Mall.  Sure.  I like chicken wings.  Let's do that.
But back to "feels wrong," Windward Mall is the same.  Like this, which seems like it should be a national store or something, but have you ever heard of an Animation Magic?  No.  Half of the places at WM feel like that.  A thing you should have heard of, but haven't, so maybe it's all just some sort of alien front where they have some scheme, but have to spend too much effort keeping up the facade.
Anyway, BWs.  It was insanely busy for 4pm on a holiday.  "Do you want to sit at the bar?"  No, but I also don't want to wait twenty minutes for a table, but this whole thing kind of ends in disaster, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.  I found a seat at the bar, but I guess that chair isn't supposed to exist, because they had no idea how to tell the computer where I was sitting when I ordered my drink.  Black Cherry Limeade, described by the menu as "slightly sour," and described by me as "mostly sugar."

After scanning the menu, I went with the boneless/regular wing combo, substituting a Caesar salad for the coleslaw, because fuck coleslaw.  And both types of wings hot, with blue cheese.  Guess how many mistakes this all ended up with?
Three.
Let's get the salad done first.  Who the absolute fuck in the BWW corporate office decided that what Caesar dressing needed was added sugar.  Seriously, this was sweet.  I also wish we had a face for "it'll be $2.25 to substitute the salad."  I don't care, just substitute it and charge me the difference.

And when it arrived, I looked at it, and thought, "hey, doesn't this come with fries?"  "No?" said the waitress who brought the food, walked it around the bar since my seat doesn't exist, and then started trying to add some fries to my order.

"I thought it comes with fries and coleslaw, and I substituted the salad for the coleslaw, because fuck coleslaw."  "No, it's either/or," added Jay, the bartender I guess I'm going to try and get fired tomorrow.

First up, no it fucking isn't, Jay.  The "and" conjunction is different than "or."  Although I guess that does explain why I didn't get any carrots or celery.  Only one of the four, right?
"This isn't really something to get somebody fired for, is it?"  No, it isn't, but when Jay added to me, "I should have typed in the order, because a man would have gotten it right," I immediately decided memorizing the name on his tag was a top priority.  Fuck you, Jay.  I had assumed things were fucked up because everyone is new and no one knows what they're doing.  Now I have a target for my anger, and his name is Jay, and he seems to think he needs to try and have conversations with me when I'm clearly on my phone because it took 45 minutes for my food to get there.

Also that was fucking ranch, and "hot" and "hot bbq" aren't the same, because although I don't know what "hot" tastes like, "hot bbq" tastes like shit.  I doubt the fries would have been any good either, but I'd at least have something else to snack on before it all gets too cold to eat because the A/C is too high.

Final note: that doesn't look like anyone "hand-spun" the sauce on that chicken.  It looks like they glopped it on, and then sat it under the heat lamp for ten minutes to get that nice "semi-congealed" look everyone doesn't want.



No comments:

Post a Comment