Monday, January 9, 2017

Monday: Home again.

Which is unfortunate, but I have a list of things I have to do at work tomorrow.  I am super looking forward to them, too.  A bunch.  So much forward lookings.

In any case, the trip to SFO was largely uneventful, and I was able to zip through security due to the Pre-check thing.  I will object to the one security person telling me that I should go to door 13, because that Pre-check had no line.  That was a lie, and I suspect she knew it.

But I was able to get some pastrami.

And spin some Pokestops and ignore some garbage Pokemon.
And then I had a reasonable flight.  I slept part of it, as I only got like three hours of sleep last night.  The lady I was sitting next to had an injured knee, so she needed a bit of extra time to do stuff.  I was also sitting across the aisle from some guy who was putting together a work presentation about his company's oatmeal business.  "Oatmeal is considered 'beige'", "We're perceived as an unpleasant healthy option (although some of our products are not that healthy)", "The current outlook for the US market is not optimistic."  I salute you, Mr. Hard Truths About Oatmeal Guy.  My final observation was seeing a woman in a pair of jeggings that had pocket patterns printed on, in the absolute pinnacle of shitty pockets.

And then I got home, and decided to get a messy teri burger and cheesy tots.
After I spent an hour unsuccessfully trying to get my new wireless router to actually do port forwarding stuff.  I don't know why this doesn't work for me.  It worked on my ancient router before it was killed by a power surge, but it hasn't on anything since.  I configure everything the way the documentation suggests, but it just eats all the packets, so all the connections time out.  I eventually decided that in the interest of not getting super angry just after getting home, I would just switch everything back to how it was before, and put this off to a weekend project.  I think I'm going to bring my RaspPi home from the office, and see if I can make that do port forwarding correctly.  If so, then it's a configuration error on my side.  If not, then there's some option somewhere that I haven't set correctly.  I didn't see any "don't suck" option.

On the wireless side, it's wonderful, giving me like four times the speed I usually get, just on some random tests.  So I would really like to get this working, ignoring entirely the fact that I need a working router if I'm going to upgrade my home computers to match my actual uses better.

And links are back, partially because I have things I noticed this morning, and partially because I have a bunch of links in tabs I've been saving and need to clear them out.  This ignores the 886 save items in my RSS reader, as I just don't have the energy tonight to sort through those.


  • I never noticed until this morning that Webster at Willie Stargell has a bus priority light.
  • And, in noticing that, I wondered how the transbay bus service works.  It looks like it just does the "into city" or "out of city" routes depending on time of day, and doesn't do a full loop route.
  • Privately held toll lanes are an abomination.
  • LocoL, a restaurant in Oakland.
  • I was not expecting to see a name I recognized in this story.
  • The stupid manual for that stupid router.  I'm sure if I try enough things, I will probably be able to get it to work.
  • My phone decided to update this evening.
  • Julie has meal plans up, even though I don't know that I would like any of those.  The chili would probably be ok.  I've kind of been wanting to make chili for a while now, for no clear reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment