Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Wednesday: I finally bought holiday flights.

Partially because I got yet another email telling me that if I don't take 34.75 hours of vacation before the end of the year, I'll lose it (with the implication that it's a big hassle for HR, so I should just take the time and be done with it).  I'm going to take 5 days before the end of the year, not counting Christmas (which is a regular holiday), so that should do it.

I initially panicked when it came back with my desired flight dates and a price of $1257.  Eventually, the "not-fucking-crazytown" flights loaded, and I was able to get it for a better price.  I then thought that my Thanksgiving flight was significantly more expensive, which led me to trolling through gmail to find how much I've paid for what is essentially the same flights to SFO in the past ~18 months (at which point I got tired of looking).

The line is a quick by eye fit because those four points looked like they were colinear.
My conclusions from this:
  1. I almost always buy my tickets about two weeks away from my departure date.
  2. Price doesn't seem to really correlate with how early I am, although there's a slight trend that "last minute" is a bit cheaper.  This doesn't account for time of the year, or how long ago the flight was, however, and those are probably important factors.
  3. I fly to San Francisco a lot, as I think this will be my sixth trip this year.  Last New Year's isn't on this figure because that was partially work related, and not the simple "there-and-back".

I got an apple danish to have for a late afternoon snack.

  • This is a long read, but the summary is "Democrats solve problems, Republicans constantly lie and obstruct, and the media is full of cowardly opportunists who would rather repeat the lies and ignore the problem solving, because angry people are more likely to consume more of their shitty media."
  • This is long too, but half of it is gif responses instead of a real conversation, so it's easy to read.
  • I don't understand why people keep waiting in line at Franklin's and making it a big deal.  It's good barbecue.  So order ahead, then you can eat it at home, where it's fine to overeat and then collapse onto the floor until the meat sweats subside.  Or go to Rudy's.  It's like 90% as good, and is ubiquitous.
  • Jack Hughes.  I will love John Allison's writing forever.
  • Yeah.
  • Dog, that's mean.  I'm still laughing, but you probably shouldn't do that.
  • I have not really been into this meme, but this is a good one.
  • I kind of just want the locket.
  • Sailor Plato.

No comments:

Post a Comment