Friday, December 16, 2016

Friday: Ugh. Malls.

Since they redesigned it, Ala Moana is not a terrible place to park.  I assume part of that is them preparing to be the terminus of the rail line, but there are always parking spaces now.  I think the sign said there were like 2000 open ones.  However, people are remarkably stupid, and I saw a bunch turning onto floors that were clearly labeled as having 20 open spaces.  People are dumb.

The other problem is that getting to, and getting out of the mall is still difficult.  Keaaumoku is a pain to get down, because there are so many lights, and people always want to turn left.  It's the same problem leaving the mall: everyone has to filter through the same exits, and it takes forever to do that.

You'll also notice that this katsudon is at home.  There were no seats in Shirokiya, because the tables were filled with people who were drinking beer and don't know how to share common tables.

I mean, what could possibly be better than that?
I also decided today that this is my new favorite song ever:

Utada Hikaru: Boku wa Kuma (I am a Bear).

First up, my grandparents had a console television like that one on top.  I always thought console televisions were cool.  But the main point is that it lists the size as 295 square inches.  "How big is that?" I thought.

Old TVs were 4:3 aspect ratio, and measured based on the diagonal length (because ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but that's at least what I vaguely know).  So that means that:

  1. r^2 = 4 * a^2 + 3 * a^2 = 25 a^2
  2. Area = (4a)*(3a) = 12 a^2
  3. Area = 12 / 25 r^2; r = sqrt(25/12 * Area)
  4. It'd be r = sqrt(337 / 144 * Area) for modern 16:9 TVs.
So it's a 24.791 inch television, which I think makes it roughly the same size as my old TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment