Saturday, May 5, 2012

Saturday: I think Pizza Hut just ripped me off

This is "Double Breadsticks."
This is "extra cheese."
I've already sent an email complaining, and I expect that this will give me coupons to use for more pizza.  I even added a tip to the online order, even though I'm pretty sure that's not necessary when you order online and pick it up yourself.  That makes me doubly unhappy that they screwed up my order.

This late evening pizza run was actually prompted by Julie, who had to post delicious food pictures just as I was starting to feel hungry.  I initially thought of going to that diner I heard about last week, but really just wanted something I could get quickly and bring home.  Plus, pizza is never a bad option.  

I also spent part of today configuring my new phone to be extra cool.  First thing was to get ringtones and notification sounds organized, selecting a nice "boop" sound from Silent Hill 3 for notifications.  The location specific thingy on the new droids is great, because it can tell when I'm at home (and would want noisy notifications) and at work (where it switches to silent mode).  I've just started playing with it, but love that the phone knows where it is, and does things automatically based on that.

The other nice thing I found today is this app, which allows me to configure sftp sync directories on the phone and my computer.  This is also automatic, syncing every two hours.  I suspect that will lead to a battery hit, but I'll deal with that when it becomes an issue.  Right now, I only have it synchronizing my camera and mp3 directories, meaning all my photos copy themselves home, and I can configure a bunch of mp3s I want to listen to using the command line (which is fast), and have that copy over the phone so they're easy to listen to.  This is much better than having to plug the phone into USB to copy things around, or manually downloading them.  I don't know if I'm going to buy the paid version (making me the exact kind of person the iphone developers always talk about), because I'm perfectly happy only having one sync profile.  I want my files going home, not all randomly wherever.

One thing I've noticed that I'm unhappy with is that there doesn't seem to be a regular simple mp3 player.  It seems to want to do everything through google play music, which isn't very useful.  It seems to pop up a lot telling me how cool google play is, but that's not really something I care about.  I have piles of music, and I usually get new stuff from amazon.  Not that I'm against buying from google, but I don't really care to be reminded about it every time I try to do something.  Also: whoever decided that adding an album to a playlist means it should be alphabetized by title (or randomized? I'm not sure) needs to be shot.  I want to listen to the album as an album.  Otherwise, I'd have added the songs in some "not this entire album" method.

I've also noticed that the camera on the new phone is significantly faster than the old one, going from menu to ready-to-image in less than a second or so.  It also saves images quicker, meaning that the time between images is trivially small.  It also has a nice green focus box that lets you know when you're going to take a good picture.  This was always a problem with the old phone, so I'm glad the new one has sorted it out somewhat.

  • Squirrel!
  • It's always the innocent bystanders that get hurt.
  • Anna Miller's.  I've always gotten the feeling that this could be better than it is.  The food isn't bad, but it's kind of run-down looking, and some of the waitresses are a touch on the surly side.  It's not so much that it has an old style, since I kind of like the fonts/artwork/etc that they use.  It's just doesn't have a kitsch feeling that I think would help.  It was interesting to go to at least once, since I'd first heard about it more than a decade ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment