Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Wednesday: Thanksgiving prep day

It's always tiring to spend three hours cooking.  However, I've finished most of the actual prep work for Thanksgiving, so tomorrow will be fairly easy.  I'll skip some of the details, but today's tasks were:

  • Turkey.  Obviously not cooking, but getting it out of the package and into the brine.
  • Green bean casserole.  I went with the canned/lazy one, as that's takes about five minutes to put together.
  • Mac and Cheese. I used my "bechamel + shredded cheese + pasta, dump together and cover, let sit, mix" recipe.
  • Stuffing. I've come up with a new strategy this year. Take a plastic gladware thing, put in bread chunks (I used sourdough this year, because that was easy to find). Saute carrots/celery/onion together, and dump into the gladware. Repeat with mushrooms, waiting until the moisture is driven out. Repeat with portabella. Fry Portuguese sausage bits, and then add to the gladware.  Put the lid on and shake it around.  Make sure it's mixed reasonably well, add a bit of chicken stock, and then put into the fridge for tomorrow.
Dinner was a leftover chunk of sausage fried up and eaten hotdog style.  I probably should have taken pictures, but I'll do that tomorrow when everything is cooked and plated.

No comments:

Post a Comment