Sunday, May 22, 2016

Sunday: I'm reasonably sure my talk for tomorrow is finished.

I have the benefit that it's not me presenting finished work, but work in progress.  So there's the magic wand of "no clue why this is wrong, but I plan to find out."

Also, yesterday twitter was all atwitter about Mars being at opposition last night.  I got up about 1am to take pictures.  I had planned on using my camera, but its battery was dead, so I ended up doing the bulk with my phone.

This was the best looking shot I got with my camera after letting it charge for a few minutes.  It clearly makes a difference in what you can see with larger pixels.  There's a bit of wobble in this one, which means I should really look into getting a small tripod.
In any case, this is the mosaic I was able to produce from the phone pictures.  You can click through to see the details, or look at the next few blowups.
Way over on the right side (West) is Jupiter setting.
Here's Saturn (on the left, just below the diffraction spike from the moon), the Moon (duh), Antares (that faint smudge about a fifth of the way up from the bottom), and Mars.
Then sleep, then waking up, then checking my phone and seeing google telling me how long it would take to drive and get ramen.
I mean, it's not like I had a real plan for the day, so hey, why not?

Obligatory best shot of Diamond Head from the Safeway stairs.
I also checked my mail, and my Federal tax refund was there.  Yay extra money.  Double yay having phone app depositing, so I don't even need to go to a bank to cash it.



No comments:

Post a Comment