Saturday, May 21, 2016

Saturday: Somewhat disappointing.

I woke up today super early, which was then followed by an unexpected phone call, one of the main detail of which was Julie talking about how good corned beef hash is, and how I had like six hours in which I could totally go to the Pancake House to get it.

I then went back to sleep, because fuck being up at 8am.

When I woke back up again, I did a search pancakes on yelp, and discovered a new pancake place, helpfully named "Pancakes and Waffles".  The important thing that this led me to discover is that they do chicken and waffles.  That pretty clearly settled the point that I was going to be driving to Waimalu, even though that's halfway across the island.

I went with a new face covering technique today, but it turned out a bit creepier than I expected.
Here are the two main problems with the chicken and waffles:  the waffle is too squishy, and the chicken is too hard.  Flavor wise, it's also a bit muted.  It's not bad at all, just not quite perfect.  The waffle probably needed another 15-30 seconds or so to fully set the insides.  The chicken is thighs, but it's a bit overcooked and dry, which kind of kills the flavor.  The other main problem is that tabasco isn't the best hot sauce for C&W.  Cholula was my choice at 24 Diner (as seen here, and here, and here).

There's something else on the menu that makes me think I'll be driving to Waimalu again fairly soon. 
You can almost read it on the menu there.
Or I can copy from the online menu:
That looks like a 100% proper Monte Cristo, complete with jam.
It has been nearly a decade I think since I last had one.  I suspect that's probably about the correct healthy frequency.


No comments:

Post a Comment