Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Wednesday: My internet is sucky tonight

Due to "degraded high speed internet and home phone service in town on and surrounding Pensa Cola St. & Wilder Ave."

Things I looked into doing, but ended up not doing:

  • Not falling asleep on the couch randomly for an hour.
  • Scaling various google map images to be the same physical scale to compare different cities so I would have an idea of how far things are in cities I've never been to.
  • Interesting probabilistic analysis of crime and effective police deployment based on some simple models, based on an NPR story I heard this morning about the stop and frisk crap.
Things I did do, since the math was easy:
  • Later, in the links, there's an economic story that talks about productivity, etc.  If you click through to the story, you can see their 2000/2012 data values for productivity and income.  If you simply multiply the numbers together, you see that if wages increased as productivity (i.e., there's no rent seeking class that are extracting wealth from people who actually work), everyone would be making 118.39% what they do now.  I'm unclear if inflation is included in those numbers, but as they supply inflation indexes, you can factor those numbers in too.  157.85%.  Imagine what you could do if you had almost 60% more money each month.
Because I spent a large chunk of the day sorting out travel crap, I've been thinking about maps all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment