Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Tuesday: So that's an hour gone, and now you're going to have to live with the consequences.

In my RSS feeds, I have a tumblr that posts pictures of games with bears.  This showed up today.  All I could think was, "holy shit, I fucking loved that game when I was like six."  Also, I just decided it's totally ok to swear in this review of a kids game, because kids today would never play it, so it doesn't fucking matter.

I then spent a long time trying different combinations of the words [bear,basket,catch,coins], until finally scanning the list of Apple2 games on gamefaqs.  Then one title jumped out at me, and I immediately knew it was the right game.

Stickybear Basket Bounce.
After finding the name of the game, it turns out it's kind of trivially easy to find copies that can be played on a modern computer via emulation.  The emulation was kind of broken, as a single tap on the arrow keys make Mr. Stickybear dash across the screen.  I thought you had to hold the key to move in the original, which would make it significantly easier.

Here's Stickybear in level 1.  Balls fall from the machine in the ceiling, and you have to catch them in the basket.

But if the ball hits Stickybear first, he gets knocked on his ass.  Hit detection is a bit odd, as you can catch with the bottom of the basket.

Level 2.  Same principle, but this time you have to catch coins.  Or rings.  Plates?  Whatever, matchine drops them again, etc.

Level 3: Stickybear in space.  The rocket-mushroom in the center shoots out stars that you need to catch.  This level also has a tiny worm creature that you have to jump over.  I didn't get a picture of that.

In all levels, once you lose all your baskets, this guy in the bulldozer shows up and pushes you off the screen.

That's pretty much it.  The levels loop after that, and I think they get faster and standard 1983 video game tricks.

No comments:

Post a Comment