Friday, August 16, 2013

Friday: I do not appreciate having people show up unexpectedly at my lanai

Largely due to the fact that my lanai is like 100 feet in the air.  However, the painters are redoing the building, and they needed me to close my kitchen windows so they could get their scaffolding up.  I'll be glad when they're done, and I can go back to assuming my lanai will only be visited by Spider-Man.  Batman would work too.

Then I went and had dinner at the Mexican place:
I took the top mosaic of the place being empty, then a later mosaic of my food.  I tentatively joined them, and I kind of like the way the ghost table fades into the floor due to the change in perspective.
Enchiladas sounded good, partially due to the fact that they keep advertising that smothered burrito on tv.  This was actually made with real food, though, so that's a good thing.

In addition, I've been repeatedly attempting to update my work webpage, but can't because the rsync keeps failing because the webpage host has a bad NFS mount.  This after the email was down all day long.  Had I known it was going to be like this, I wouldn't have spent an hour last night getting thing organized for the update.  Also: I will freely admit that without any other guide, I tend to put things into itemized lists.

And now, an itemized list of today's links.


  • Paul Kokoski is a douchebag.  There's little point refuting someone who's bigoted due to religion.
  • Grant Morrison is also a douchebag, but since he only writes shitty comics, he's somewhat less offensive.  Although suggesting that Batman would break one of his fundamental rules is kind of offensive.
  • Team Rocket: basically the best people in the show.
  • Art deco.
  • Many years ago, I came up with the theory that having a stalker would be kind of useful, because if your car broke down or something, they'd be there to help you out.  Of course, everyone has cell phones now, so that's less useful.  In any case, here's a similar concept, but starring the NSA.
  • That's a bad idea.  I do most of my best work on my 20%.  Or, my "whatever percent that's nearly zero, but isn't quite."
  • Here's a thought: this story and many similar ones point out that a purely meritocratic admissions process creates a college population that doesn't match the demographics of the state.  Why not do both?  For half of the incoming class, use a purely meritocratic system.  For the other half, accept to match the demographics.  Part of my logic here is that you want to have a meritocratic system, but you also don't want to prevent people from attending who might have failed at that criterion due to socioeconomic reasons (which I would think would be the most likely reason for the meritocratic system to not match demographics).
  • Paragraph two is slightly inaccurate, but I had the joke figured out by paragraph three.

No comments:

Post a Comment