Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Tuesday: I hate planning travel

I'm increasingly unhappy with doing travel as well, largely because it requires dealing with a lot of people in a very tiny place.  In any case, I sat down to start organizing the Taiwan trip, with potential Tokyo three day layover.  I think once I know how much that's going to cost, then I'll sort out my mainland vacation.  Even though I know pretty accurately how much that's going to cost.  $1000.  Largely doesn't depend on what dates I choose, either.  :-/

Apparently this is the image I have to go with today.

  • Board games.
  • This looks like it has a 3-4-2 arrangement for the seats.  Compare that to the 3-4-3 arrangement now.  Plus, there are 8 rows in that section that's now economy plus (check the windows).  This looks like it'd have a seat pitch of at least 34".
  • Look, a squirrel.
  • So there's this article, and then there's the "oh, we made a mistake" rebuttal that I'm not linking here because sane people don't make you "complete a security check" to read a fucking press release.
  • This story makes me think of the Elgin Marbles (which I apparently never made a blog post for when I was in London), and wonder about what's best.  Is it better to have a colonial or pseudo colonial power remove antiquities to a place where they're likely to be preserved indefinitely (due to the wonderful incumbent power of post-colonial powers), or is it better to leave them where they are?  Would there be sufficient cultural significance in the antiquities being left that a preservationist nationalism would take hold?

No comments:

Post a Comment