Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Wednesday: I kind of wish I was taking tomorrow off as a vacation day.

Since friday is a holiday, it'd give me a nice four day weekend.  I guess I could take monday off instead.  In any case, I probably need to take more than zero vacation this year.  Sorry, just calculated.  It looks like I've taken 4 days?  At this rate, I'll have something like 21 days saved up at the end of the year.  So, setting aside the two standard weeks at the end of the year, I need to take at least one more vacation day this year (as I can only carry 10 days from one year to the next).  I should actually try to plan a vacation sometime.

Squirrels are their own pokeball.

  • This sounds really tasty.
  • I've had similar debates before.  Clearly, if regular chips and salsa is good, doritos and salsa must be better.  It's just math.
  • "Boy size turkey."
  • That table of command line redirection I perpetually need to find again.
  • I can't read this article at home, but I could at work.  Basically, it says "don't talk about which papers you were referee for."  I'm 99% sure it doesn't forbid playing the fun game of, "let's guess the referee who's commenting on the paper we just submitted."  Unfortunately, it sounds like we have to wait fifty years to find out the results.
  • This link isn't so much about the article as it is about the page design.  What is it with sites now thinking that they need to have their masthead and shit as a floating element that stays on the screen no matter how much you scroll?  That's a) stupid b) ugly c) stupid again.  Plus, there's d) I can't use the spacebar to scroll the page, as that dumb floating shit masks a part of the article I didn't read yet.
  • I'm not entirely sure that this article doesn't simply describe the sanity mechanic from the Call of Cthulhu game.  You can only have a maximum number of sanity points equal to (99 - Cthulhu Mythos skill).  This means that as you learn more about the world, your maximum sanity decreases (you can lose points for other things too, but this defines the maximum).  Wait, did I just realize that the real world may simply be a game of Call of Cthulhu?  Shit, that's probably like a 1d4 loss.  Damn you, reality!

No comments:

Post a Comment