Monday, August 19, 2013

Monday: grumpy day


Paper proofs came back today, although I had to write a response that largely insisted that when we put in \lambda, we actually meant that, and that "Greek character lower-case lambda" is not equivalent to "Latin alphabet lower-case l".  I'm guessing it was just a mistake in the typesetting/editing/I have no clue what departments exist department.  At least they caught that "table 7" was actually table 6, and that the caption of table 5 was also claiming to be table 7.  Everyone wants to be table 7, I guess.

Then I spent a large chunk of the day trying to un-hard-code someone else's code.  Which sucks.  I'm also somewhat unsure that calling updatedb to generate a locate database is actually any faster than just doing a find, especially if that locate database is only ever used in a call to "locate -d database .", as that simply dumps the filenames of all the files in the database.  You know, kind of like what find would give you.

Finally, I proved that due to what I can only guess is absolute insanity, an ancient bit of work code successfully takes positive integers less than 6553.5, and packs them into a 16 bit datatype.  "Wait, but" yes, I know.  Don't think about it too hard.  I proved that it did that, and in no way suggest that it makes a damn bit of sense to do it like that.

  • My options here.  a) This page is a parody, like the onion.  b) Assange is now officially a mockery of his own fictional character.  c) Bat shit insanity.
  • Hopefully this will be entertaining.  I've added it to RSS so I don't need to actually try to read it.
  • Pikachu.
  • Bunnies, because today needs bunnies.




No comments:

Post a Comment